Author
Topic: Asterisk sequence  (Read 5866 times)
arjay
  • Time flies like an arrow.Fruit flies like a banana
« on: June 12, 2012, 12:29:10 pm »

There have been numerous posts asking about the value of notes in sequence. I believe they have all been regarding regular notes. I have twenty *FV 1973 notes in sequence, from *FV7020728 to *FV7020747. Any ideas anyone?

{http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7725/fv2q.jpg:http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/7725/fv2q.th.jpg}
{http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9776/fv1s.jpg:http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9776/fv1s.th.jpg}
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:38:21 pm by arjay »
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 01:45:12 pm »

For myself personally as a rule of thumb if I see a large amount of consecutive replacements I am far less willing to pay anything close to book although additional research might be needed to determine total potential notes. I have personally seen consecutive replacements of 100 notes, unfortunately this drove the price down and not up.

Regards,
MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 02:44:44 pm »

Arjay, I think you might want to hold on to those!  Can't explain why, but they're really nice!  ;)

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 03:23:52 pm »

For myself personally as a rule of thumb if I see a large amount of consecutive replacements I am far less willing to pay anything close to book although additional research might be needed to determine total potential notes. I have personally seen consecutive replacements of 100 notes, unfortunately this drove the price down and not up.

Regards,
MG

I tend to agree..the more available... the less I feel they are worth...
but that is only my opinion

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
arjay
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:33:46 pm »

Arjay, I think you might want to hold on to those!  Can't explain why, but they're really nice!  ;)

I've been hanging on to them for a "few" years. And they only cost me $20!
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 07:43:14 pm »

I've been hanging on to them for a "few" years. And they only cost me $20!

$20 from a few years ago would be close to $100 today which is $5 per note. Sounds like you will do just fine.  8)

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
Bruxi
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 09:25:28 pm »

Some collectors don't care about serial numbers in sequence, and some do.  It is those that do that create a premium above and beyond what you would pay for 20 random notes (all other things being equal ex. the serial #'s).
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:22:19 pm »

$20 from a few years ago would be close to $100 today which is $5 per note. Sounds like you will do just fine.  8)

MG

Not everyone invests every last cent they have.  I, for one, like to keep a bit of cash around when I want to go to Mickey Dee's or Horny Tim's.  The novelty of having 20 consecutive asterisk notes, especially if you found them yourself, far outweighs the face value or the calculated inflationary value.  Collecting paper money as a long-term investment strategy is not a good one.

Replacements or otherwise, consecutive notes carry some burden if offered as a single lot because not many people want 20 consecutive notes.  On the flip side, consecutive notes are more likely to be perceived as Uncirculated.  Convincing people that a single note is uncirculated is harder.  I actually have some experience selling runs of replacements.  I did the best when I sold them in pairs.  Two consecutive notes appeal to a lot of people.  Even the people wanting just one are OK with buying two because they are more assured of getting an Unc note and they can always sell one if they feel they must.  Larger groupings bring in smaller profits per note.  Single notes were really hit-or-miss and take twice as long to sell off as pairs.

No hay banda  
arjay
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 09:14:36 pm »

Thanks everyone for your input. I just think it's a neat looking set that only cost face value. But I was curious.

Login with username, password and session length