Author
Topic: Beattie-Rasminsky S/R note.  (Read 6340 times)
AL-Bob
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:47:10 pm »

Is there still support for this note in the Unc60/Unc63 grades? 

I know the price has been in decline for a long time with new examples surfacing all the time.  Especially now, with G/R and E/R garnering much of the attention. 

But, what do you guys think: is a nice uncirculated S/R still worth the mullah?  Does anyone remember recent auction results?

Cheers,
Al-Bob

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 11:57:51 am »

Strict unc is probably still worth the money even though the notes themselves are cold.
I am still looking for a consec pair.
Back in the day I saw literally stacks of VG-VFs culled by Walter Allen and others,but not uncs.
It is thought by some that the E/R and/or G/R are actually changeovers from steel to Litho, and not actually tests. Does anybody know if it has been confirmed by the BOC that these are indeed test notes?
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 12:24:07 pm »

I have a consec pair graded Unc 63 by Andrew CCGS.Email me if you're interested.

AL-Bob
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 03:06:16 am »

It is thought by some that the E/R and/or G/R are actually changeovers from steel to Litho, and not actually tests.

Really? How did the current "test note" ranges even become known in the first place?  Does anyone have a copy of the original CPMS articles?

I was not aware of any changes in the printing process, especially not that early on in the Beattie-Rasminsky signature. Are you referring to a changeover in the printing of the main design of the notes?  I was only aware of the signatures being printed by lithographic process, and not on any $2 as far as I've seen.

I can see how the S/R are completely out of phase with the other prefixes.  The plate numbers on the Be-R example I have (>2M) suggest it was printed near the end of the "U" denominational letter.  At least that makes it interesting, regardless of what it was used for.

Unless there is some distinguishing feature of the E/R and G/R test notes, I would be a little skeptical about paying such crazy amounts for a note than just happens to be between two numbers in a book.   ???

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 12:20:24 pm »

Apparently, the engraved ones have a fuzzy thicker appearing signature, the litho are thin and sharp signatures. Not sure if this has been confirmed though.

Login with username, password and session length