Author
Topic: The Great Currency Grading Debate - Round 2  (Read 4945 times)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« on: July 27, 2006, 07:14:43 pm »

Now to further complicate the debate I want to add to the discussion the problem of grading notes that are unevenly worn.  I passed this note (1914 $2) around at lunch during CNA, and some forum members have seen the real note.  This note was likely folded and stored in such a way that the centre fold received disproportionate wear. The overall body of the note is very nice, except in the centre fold where with very little effort the note would fall apart into two pieces. Thus 98% of the note would grade F- VF but the 2% down the centre fold is graded as G - G+.   So how should this note be graded?

(I've started this as a separate thread so that the UNC 63 - 65 - 67 debate can continue undisturbed).

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:53:10 am by BWJM »

eastguy
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 08:47:45 pm »

Enclose it in plastic so nobody can touch/feel it and it obviously becomes a higher grade note....duh!

But is a note in plastic not simply a coin?

Might as well become a coin collector (again).

:-?eastguy

EGUY
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 11:18:25 pm »

I handled the note at the CNA, and one of the members at the table answered when I asked him the same question as eyevet, that he would grade both sides individually.  That would be the case if a note was one grade on one side and another grade on the other.  

For a note like this, I think because it is kind of a unique circumstance, the "dfescription" should be exactly what eyevet wrote in the post.  And I would be that if this note was put onto the open market with that description, the final price would be reasonable close to what the midpoint of what the grades would be.

I must admit, I was puzzled at first when I saw the note on how to grade it.  Working with Journey series, this case is not too common.

Huds
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:19:20 pm by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
eastguy
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 01:08:16 am »

Sorry Huds, but it is very common for a note to appear better from the front than the reverse. It's simply a reflection of how we fold/carry our currency.

Usually, folks keep the face of the note on the inside of a fold which means the reverse of the note bears the brunt of wear and tear. If you want to display the best part of a used note it is therefore going to be the face side.

I have many notes that appear Unc on the front yet have obvious scrubs on the reverse. I guess they're now Unc with a grade as compared to the old AU or worse grade and therefore worth more. LOL

:)eastguy

EGUY
justeo
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 07:29:44 pm »

You could still call it Fine-Very Fine but if you want to be conservative grade it as a Fine.

Login with username, password and session length