Author
Topic: Buyer (and seller)Beware!  (Read 24583 times)
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2007, 11:00:50 pm »

And the funniest thing of all............

There is a certain segment of ALL markets that just DONT get it.

When they figure it out they can post the answer to this """"deep""" mystery,,,, lolololol

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2007, 11:18:26 am »

bux,
something that will explain today's action in the market is best understood in terms of Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions, and the Madness of the Crowd by Charles Mackay.
Please buy this book,it is whimsical,contains extrodinary wisdom,and will help you understand more than you can imagine.
The cost is about $22.00 cnd,I will purchase this book from you at full face if you are not totally mesmerized,entertained,become a connisuer of what makes trends,bull markets,ect.
You will not learn the mechanics of the market from this book,you will learn the "bull" of the Bull  ;D
Pass it on to Oli as`well.The offer stands for both of you.
Regards,tiv

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2007, 12:02:23 pm »

don't particularly disagree with TIV assesement about the future of the USD and economy. They have high deficits, are in a war without a forseeable exit strategy, have a housing market in complete disarray, lack natural resources and are a nation not lacking enemies. All these factors do not point to a rosy economic future. It may well be a disaster real quick. The Canadian Dollar has moved from .85 to about .885 in pretty quick order
You just summed up what I (influenced by my econimist buddies) have been saying all along.  They've been scratching their heads wondering why its taken so long to see an adjustment to $US.

Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions, and the Madness of the Crowd by Charles Mackay.
The cost is about $22.00 cnd,I will purchase this book from you at full face if you are not totally mesmerized,entertained,become a connisuer of what makes trends,bull markets,ect.
What about me?
I've always been a good student!!! ??? ;D

buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2007, 11:10:33 pm »

Up Up and away, like Superman  90.31 today
buxvet
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2007, 11:14:20 pm »

Hey Twoin

Hope your doing OK.

Just thought I would bring this thread back up to the front
Our dollar reached 92.20 on Monday.

Looks like you called this one.

So how long do people think before we see a par dollar.

I personally think it will happen. Might take a long time still. But I say before 2010. Sounds like a long time but thats only 2.5 yrs. That'll pass before you know it.
buxvet
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2007, 11:22:53 pm »

Well there's our first talking head making the "inevitable" prediction.  Certainly wont be the last.

Well. Don't take this personally
As I won't take your comments personally.

You seem through some posts in this thread to have a certain disdain for any sort of financial prediction regarding this topic. Not sure why you don't particularly like people expressing thier opinion on it. Maybe you don't dislike it. I just get that impression because you seem to have a less than elequoent (sp?) reply after each such prediction regarding the said future. The replies tend to hint that your opinion is people have no clue whatsoever and should clam up with predictions. Perhaps I'm wrong. That being said predictions are a large part of so many things that people the world participate in every day.

Every trade decision (buying/selling) in every stock market the world over every day is based on a prediction. Is the stock going up or down. Billions of trades every single day.

Every lottery ticket, every sports bet is baded on a prediction. Every collector purchasing a banknote is predicting that thier note will increase in value. Heck people even have pools predicting the future gender of a newborn child. People often buy and sell homes and businesses based on predictions of the future value.

This being a message board, it is an often used as a  medium for expressing opinions on the future of issues that effect our hobby. And the value of our currency ( in my opinion  :-* ) can have positive or negative repercussions on that. However directly or indirectly it may be. Do you have any prediction regarding that ::)

Over and out
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2007, 07:01:36 pm »

I really don't understand why people are so surprised about the rising Cdn $1.00

It seems we have forgotten about the last time our dollar rose ABOVE the greenback.  It was when the US was sinking a king's ransom to fight another unwinnable war in Vietnam-- and money was raining out of the country like an Indian monsoon.  History has a way of repeating itself but perhaps the US admin will wake up and smell the coffee.

I believe that if we weren't in Afghanistan we'd already be above the US $1.00  That isn't necessarily a good thing...just something to be aware of. 

hanmer
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2007, 10:46:42 pm »

While Afghanistan is a drain on the finances, maybe 10 years or so of balanced budgets and nice debt repayments have really started to pay off. A par dollar is good and bad, depending on what industry you are in. An $.85 dollar is much better all around for everybody. As walktothewater pointed out, history does repeat itself. We may find ourselves with a $.58 dollar again in the not to distant future too.

Hey while were all looking into our crystal balls, looking for stock suggestions. I have $5000 to spend in my childrens RESP accounts. Got to put it in something, they have a pile of RBC already (guess you can never really get enough of those though).

:)

buxvet
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2007, 11:16:43 pm »

Hey while were all looking into our crystal balls, looking for stock suggestions. I have $5000 to spend in my childrens RESP accounts. Got to put it in something, they have a pile of RBC already (guess you can never really get enough of those though).

I personally put a chunk of RESP money into Energy Funds. I figure when my kids do go to post secondary school I'll be looking at a cash top up to help them get through. Energy prices are having more and more of an effect on disposable income. So, I did it as sort of a hedge. If energy prices continue to rise the funds will do well and that will help. If energy prices level or fall it will help my personal financial situation and leave me with more cash to help them.
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2007, 02:28:23 pm »

Hi bux
Hey Twoin

Hope your doing OK.

Just thought I would bring this thread back up to the front
Our dollar reached 92.20 on Monday.

Looks like you called this one.

So how long do people think before we see a par dollar.

I personally think it will happen. Might take a long time still. But I say before 2010. Sounds like a long time but thats only 2.5 yrs. That'll pass before you know it.
-------------------------------------------
There are some here that think the word"prediction" is a dirty word.Perhaps they are reading too many tea leaves,watching Kreskin,dialing pyschic hot-lines,ect. A review of the word is in order:
predict

Main Entry: pre·dict
Pronunciation: pri-'dikt
Function: verb
Etymology: Latin praedictus, past participle of praedicere, from prae- pre- + dicere to say -- more at DICTION
transitive verb : to declare or indicate in advance; especially : foretell on the basis of observation, experience, or scientific reason

Lets read that again shall we-especially : foretell on the basis of observation, experience, or scientific reason.Cant find a crystal ball in there,nor a sooth sayer!

So the call of new lows,heading to par is quite an easy one,nuthin extraordinary,contrary to what some may try to spin here.Putting all the info together,we see why the cando has rocketed 10% in the last 5 months-incredible!
But that's nothing to what's coming-and we have our money placed on our "predictions". Can you say cando stronger than the usd?

Worth noting,but not relying upon,ALL weak currency tends to rise in June,August,and early Sept.The $usd has staged a weak,and I mean very weak, technically speaking, rally against select currencies.This does not bode well for investors on the wrong side.

In answer to your question bux-I say 9 months max-but remember,indicators change,and can change quickly,we are students of the market.We let it tell us,we do not tell it! :)

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2007, 04:32:17 pm »

Post # 50 should about cover those legal ramifications,that are not considered investment advice but opinions.No liability concerns when posting on-line opinions or projections.

Re: Buyer (and seller)Beware!
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2007, 10:57:58 PM »

Take it or leave it,this is not investment advice.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2007, 06:26:36 pm »

We also don't have a disclaimer saying that we are not responsible for members of this site who decide to steal nuclear technology and use it to invade a small country in the middle of Europe. The loophole is there and it can be exploited.

Jeez... What ever happened to just having a place where people could share information in a friendly and helpful manner? These days we have to have disclaimers for every conceivable thing. We have to be referees to settle petty little fights, and even when we ask for more information, we get criticized to no end and in fact accused of supporting the person who we asked for more info from. On top of all that, we have to watch what we say for fear it might piss off one group or another. We have to post dictionary definitions of the words we use because everyone interprets them differently. Will everyone just RELAX?!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2007, 07:08:57 pm »

Worth noting,but not relying upon,ALL weak currency tends to rise in June,August,and early Sept.The $usd has staged a weak,and I mean very weak, technically speaking, rally against select currencies.This does not bode well for investors on the wrong side.

I really enjoy reading the opinions of others (esp predictions) and have yet to fall off my chair as a result of any postings.   Surprisng huh??

We have to post dictionary definitions of the words we use because everyone interprets them differently.

--you won't find me pontificating on the meaning of FORUM but there's quite a few members here who could review their WEBSTERS (hint hint!)

What this means is that someone could make financial decisions based on something they read here, and if they lose money in the process, they could hold the owner of the website responsible

Wow!  This is a total news item to me!!!! ??? Is there a lawyer nearby?.. I'd almost like to hear her opinion....

Will everyone just RELAX?!

EXACTLY!  ::)

I think we need a "sticky wicket" icon for those who TAKE THE FORUM TOO SERIOUSLY & enjoy being contrary to previous postings..

___
I     I
I     I   O  (the sticky wicket)

buxvet
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2007, 08:36:48 pm »

I'm relaxed
So are 97.638% of us.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2007, 10:27:12 am »

We also don't have a disclaimer saying that we are not responsible for members of this site who decide to steal nuclear technology and use it to invade a small country in the middle of Europe. The loophole is there and it can be exploited.

Careful there Brent - someone might construe this as an incitement to war or riot!  ::)

OMG! Brent I hope you don't sue me now for causing you undue stress worrying about whether some country or other will declare war on Canada because of your comment!  :'( ;)

Login with username, password and session length