Author
Topic: Buyer (and seller)Beware!  (Read 24588 times)
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2007, 03:35:07 pm »

walktothewater wrote:
"I really enjoy reading the opinions of others (esp predictions) and have yet to fall off my chair as a result of any postings.   Surprisng huh?? "
-------------------------------------------

Look who's talkin' now!

Loonie to be at par with U.S. dollar by year-end: CIBC World Markets

TORONTO (CP) - The Canadian dollar will be worth as much as the U.S. greenback by the end of the year, CIBC World Markets economists predict (TSX:CM).

Friday's report cites an expected rise in Canadian interest rates and stronger-than-expected economic growth, along with hot commodity prices and an "avalanche" of corporate takeovers that require foreign acquirers to deal in Canadian dollars.

"With the national jobless rate plumbing 30-year lows and core inflation now bobbing above the Bank of Canada's target range, our earlier assumption of the Bank of Canada intervening against a further rise in the Canadian dollar with rate cuts no longer seems tenable," says CIBC World Markets chief economist Jeff Rubin.

In fact, he says the central bank will likely welcome a further rise in the currency, which was trading Friday morning at a three-decade high of over 93.7 cents US.

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2007, 04:40:41 pm »

I know these forums are meant to be light-hearted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
US debt could trigger dollar collapse, UN warns
Submitted by Desha Priya on Thu, 2007-05-31 16:47.
PressEsc News
The United States dollar is facing imminent collapse in the face of an unsustainable debt, the United Nations warned today.

United States debt, which had now deepened to well over $3 trillion, might turn out to be unsustainable in the rest of 2007 or next, putting further downward pressure on the United States dollar, Rob Vos, the Director of the Development Policy and Analysis Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs (DESA), told correspondents at a Headquarters press conference.

He pointed out that since its peak in 2002, the dollar had depreciated vis-à-vis the major currencies by some 35 per cent and by 25 per cent against a broader range of other currencies.

Vos made these comments at the launch of the 2007 World Economic Situation and Prospects report midyear update.

With that increased debt the risk of a sharp depreciation of the dollar continued, he warned. If countries willing to invest in United States dollar assets expected further depreciation, they might be less willing to hold dollar assets, triggering a much sharper fall in the United States dollar. The risk of disorderly adjustment and the steep fall of the dollar existed. The policy challenge was how to prevent a hard landing of the United States dollar and forge a benign adjustment of the global imbalance.

In terms of the United States housing sector, he noted that a recession in the housing sector had continued in 2007, with a slowdown in activity and a large number of unsold homes. While house prices had not fallen, that might happen in the months and years to come if the recession continued as expected. A decline in prices would affect the domestic market, particularly household consumption in the United States, resulting in the risk of a serious recession in its economy, slowing growth from 2.1 per cent to 0.5 per cent in 2007 and 2008. That would then significantly slow the world economy and transmit the recession into the rest of the world.

The United States deficit had increased to $860 billion at the end of 2006, and was expected to fall to $800 billion in 2007. That deficit was basically being financed by surpluses in the developing and oil exporting countries, as well as some major developed countries, in particular Japan and Germany. The European Union,at large, was projected to continue to have a slight deficit on its current account.

Continuing, he said the current tendency in macroeconomic policy was not all in the right direction, particularly in the surplus countries where there had been a tightening of monetary and fiscal policies, particularly in Germany and Japan, making it more difficult for the United States to lower its external deficits by export growth. The United States would also need to adopt some contractionary policies to slow down its deficit, he recommended.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 12:47:08 am by twoinvallarta »

Don_D
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2007, 08:53:43 pm »

Brente,
    where are  you  ?
CMNWEALTH
  • One Chromosome between Insane and Genious !
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2007, 08:55:32 pm »

I haven't met too many lazy Canadians but if run into a few large ones due to bacon consumption and extensive hibernation cycles.

Dollar Close @ .943 - Sick, So much for $30 Dollar/hr manufacturing jobs.
Tarland here I come !
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2007, 10:12:19 pm »

Brente,
    where are  you  ?
Right here. Where are you? PS: My name has only one e.

I'm otherwise staying out of this thread as I frankly don't really care what the daily exchange rate is, nor am I interested in babysitting an argument or wading through mile-long posts that lack any readable formatting. If anyone has any complaints about a post, use the "report to moderator" links in the bottom left of each post and detail your concerns. Otherwise, live and let live.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2007, 10:37:59 pm »

Right here. Where are you? PS: My name has only one e.

I'm otherwise staying out of this thread as I frankly don't really care what the daily exchange rate is, nor am I interested in babysitting an argument or wading through mile-long posts that lack any readable formatting. If anyone has any complaints about a post, use the "report to moderator" links in the bottom left of each post and detail your concerns. Otherwise, live and let live.

Thats good - A good moderator does stay out, unless things get silly
I have yet to see an argument in this thread.
Rachel obviously isn't fussy about this thread.
But thats his right and he isn't breaking any rules.
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2007, 01:04:30 am »

Yes, i agree bux.

I wonder if there is a prize for most edited/deleted posts by a member?BTW,I have edited mine of my own,no complaints received,the proper action to take.

How 'bout that C$.

And Brent,you should care about the $ exchange.Look at the big picture,if the usd goes 0.75 or even 0.54 vs the cand.,how many Americans will you see downing a cold one in our legalized zoos-lol!
Stay with me here,as sales from said patrons drop at rapid rates,less -shall we call them chaparones-will be needed to keep the unruly visitors,drunk from our superior brew,at bay.
This indeed can create a national crisis,less beer drank=less waitresses=less Managers to manage=less manufacturers of said ales=less workers that produce the cheer=less homes purchased=less appliances bought=...you can see the seriousness that may arise!

No sir.I fear this is being treated in a  somewhat obtuse manner.Keep an eye on the usd,your fav establishment may depend on it ;D
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 01:10:06 am by twoinvallarta »

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2007, 06:05:00 pm »

eBay encourages sellers to express the selling price in US dollars. I have tried it in Canadian dollars, with few bids, so I have reverted to US money. No big deal, just their suggested methods.

Rick
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2007, 09:43:24 pm »

update:
twoinvallarta-Quote
Oil at $120? Maybe ,maybe not,but We dont collect oil here.I can argue a price and it sure as h--ell aint $63.00 pb..But i digress....

If you're wrong, what then?
twoinvallarta- Im not.

Oil touched $75 pb today,going $85-$90 in my opinion.
The USD?? Headline below says it all,the first target has fallen twice,once more and it's avalanche in 'Mountain' Country.My thought is still par by years end.
Hope you sold your greenbacks much higher than today
An interesting development.TDCT and seceral financial institutions are now adding a service charge to money transfers in USD.Also my CIBC Gold now charges a sur charge on top of the spread for transactions done in USD's.Talk about double-dipping.

Frank Pingue
Reuters
Monday, July 16, 2007
TORONTO -- The Canadian dollar stormed to 96 U.S. cents for the first time in 30 years on Monday as higher oil prices triggered a slew of automatic buy orders.

"It's been one-way traffic," said Steve Butler, director of foreign exchange trading at Scotia Capital. "I think it's going to be a little bit sticky here, but certainly I think (the Canadian dollar's) got some more room to appreciate

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2007, 08:02:20 pm »

We sent this to our clients today:Some of them(ok maybe 4) are paper/coin collectors.

...Do you think I can sue Goldman Sachs for having spewed coffee all over my computer screen? I was drinking a cup of coffee when I read the following  from a Goldman Sachs news release:

"Markets have been extremely voltile in recent weeks and we have been reluctant to make forecast changes for that reason. But we now think that key aspects of the Dollar outlook are sufficiently clear for us to implement a forecast change. We are incorporating significant Dollar weakness on a 3-6 month horizon versus the Euro and the Yen, reflecting three key forces."

At this point I choked so badly I gurgled that death knell as I slurped my coffee and sprayed it as a thin film all over my flat screen!

Now let’s translate this into plain English.--- We realized in the wake of massive credit defaults and huge "liquidity" injections, like someone had just hit us on the head with a 2 by 4, that the dollar is toast. And we don’t just mean golden brown, we mean like the pop-up has failed and the toaster is smokin’ like crazy and setting off the fire alarms in your kitchen; That kind of toast! The kind that you immediately toss in the garbage can without even trying to rescue it by scraping the black charcoal off it! But we were reluctant to alert you; you are esteemed clients, because we knew that would completely screw up our chances of saving our bacon

We would like to emphasize that the cratering of the dollar to burnt-to-a-crisp status and lowering of interest rates to levels that make Japanese interest rates look expensive is purely guess work on our part. Although our ex-CEO is Treasury Secretary we think it would be improper to ask him what they are going to do to solve the financial crisis. As our analysis is mainly based on wind speed analysis, and marine tidal charts it can’t be trusted so this is another reason why we wanted to delay telling you

buxvet
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2007, 05:03:25 pm »

Here we go again Rob
After some retrenching looks like we're ready to take a
crack at the mid Jul high's of around 96.65
I think we're at 95.91 today.

Do you think there is any chance the fed may be really agressive and cut rates by .50 basis points. We should venture into .97 territory if they do.
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2007, 11:02:20 am »

USD is toast buxvet.In a previous post i stated this missive was sent to our clients
"Markets have been extremely voltile in recent weeks and we have been reluctant to make forecast changes for that reason. But we now think that key aspects of the Dollar outlook are sufficiently clear for us to implement a forecast change. We are incorporating significant Dollar weakness on a 3-6 month horizon versus the Euro and the Yen, reflecting three key forces."

At this point I choked so badly I gurgled that death knell as I slurped my coffee and sprayed it as a thin film all over my flat screen!

Now let’s translate this into plain English.--- We realized in the wake of massive credit defaults and huge "liquidity" injections, like someone had just hit us on the head with a 2 by 4, that the dollar is toast. And we don’t just mean golden brown, we mean like the pop-up has failed and the toaster is smokin’ like crazy and setting off the fire alarms in your kitchen; That kind of toast! The kind that you immediately toss in the garbage can without even trying to rescue it by scraping the black charcoal off it! But we were reluctant to alert you; you are esteemed clients, because we knew that would completely screw up our chances of saving our bacon

We would like to emphasize that the cratering of the dollar to burnt-to-a-crisp status and lowering of interest rates to levels that make Japanese interest rates look expensive is purely guess work on our part. Although our ex-CEO is Treasury Secretary we think it would be improper to ask him what they are going to do to solve the financial crisis. As our analysis is mainly based on wind speed analysis, and marine tidal charts it can’t be trusted so this is another reason why we wanted to delay telling you

This morning the dollar quotes(rt):
09/12-10:44 1.0378 0.9636 735.35 -6.65   -0.90%

USD 79.36 -0.15

If you didnt divest,you can look forward to .7200, then .56.My first target of breaking .8050 3 times has secured the usd to the trash bin of fiat currency history.
The ONLY thing that MAY change these targets is the introduction of the AMERO,referred to in another thread.The dollar can't fall if it doesn't exist
There is no technical support for the usd,altho there is off-shore propping of this paper nightmare.Inflation will roar its ugly head,and soon.

buxvet
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2007, 08:08:14 pm »

96.53 near the end of the day.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2007, 12:05:06 am »

Here we go again Rob
After some retrenching looks like we're ready to take a
crack at the mid Jul high's of around 96.65
I think we're at 95.91 today.

Do you think there is any chance the fed may be really agressive and cut rates by .50 basis points. We should venture into .97 territory if they do.

Don tink so. Because of gas prices, Wit real inflation way higher dan their 'Seasonally adjusted rubbish rate' It will remain da same, if not a teeny bit higher.

PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
buxvet
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2007, 10:49:30 pm »

96.53 near the end of the day.

97.44 High Today
97.20ish close

Up Up and away like Superman
Fed Decision Tommorrow

Where do we go from here Rob
Mid 98's then some more consolidation/retrenching