Author
Topic: Dirty Money - Your $20 bill: a hot spot for influenza - Canadian Press  (Read 5556 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

I found this interesting... but had a feeling that money was dirty. 

HEALTH: STUDY: DIRTY MONEY

Your $20 bill: a hot spot for influenza
HELEN BRANSWELL

Canadian Press

June 21, 2007

The people who coined the terms filthy lucre and dirty money may have been on to something.

Swiss researchers have reported influenza viruses can survive - alive and potentially infectious - on bank notes for up to 17 days in some cases.

It's not known what portion of influenza transmission is due to touching of virus-contaminated surfaces with hands, which then touch the mucous membranes of the nose or mouth. And this study can't answer that question.

But lead author Yves Thomas said yesterday he believes the work points to a role for contamination of touchable surfaces in the spread of flu.

"When you see that the virus is still alive for several days, I can't imagine that it does not infect. I'm sure that it can infect," Dr. Thomas, a virologist at the National Centre for Influenza, said at a major international conference being held in Toronto.

"It's still alive. And it's alive in quantities that can infect."

Concerned about the possibility of an influenza pandemic, officials at the Swiss National Bank approached Dr. Thomas and his colleagues to see whether they needed to be worried that bank notes could spread infection during a pandemic, both to their staff and to the broader public.

So the scientists set about to inoculate small pieces of bank notes with several different strains of human influenza.

They allowed the notes to dry naturally and kept them at room temperature (22 C). At various points they submerged pieces of the notes in a medium, then tried to see whether the medium contained live viruses by putting it into culture.

Most of the viruses didn't last long on the money, dying within an hour or so. But one of the influenza-A viruses, H3N2, survived about 24 hours and another was viable until 72 hours, Dr. Thomas said.

Then the team decided to try to see whether mucus would enhance survival. They mixed the viruses with mucus and again inoculated bank notes. The difference was enormous.

"With secretory mucus, it's 17 days," Dr. Thomas said.

Survival time varied depending on the type of virus, with 17 days being the longest period that a virus was viable. The influenza-B virus, for instance, lasted 24 hours in mucus but only two hours without it.

Smile from your heart.  ;D
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

THis is why I only handle untouched virgin bricks ;D
I am a health nut ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?

Yea, I hear ya....

Sealed or no thanks!!!  ;D

Imagine the 1937 "VG" Grade or worse Notes..... How much have they seen over the years.....  :o

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
venga50
  • Very Senior Member

Ahh...so maybe THAT's why some people press their notes with a steam iron - to kill the germs!  ::)  Too bad you can't put $20s in the microwave to disinfect them without the foil strip catching on fire.  Maybe you can use the infrared lamps like McDonald's used to use to keep their fries warm.

I would have thought that $5 notes would have the most germs - aren't these the ones stuffed into the g-strings of exotic dancers?  :-X

bwho9d

This is when credit and debit cards come in handy.

Hey do disinfectant wipes work on paper money? I might want to keep a few in my wallet next time.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member

I have always told my tellers that you could probably get a good high by licking a dirty $5 bill.  (Of course they look at me like I am crazy, then see that I am probably right).  Although this is something I would never do, it sure makes you wonder sometimes.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member

I have always told my tellers that you could probably get a good high by licking a dirty $5 bill.  (Of course they look at me like I am crazy, then see that I am probably right).  Although this is something I would never do, it sure makes you wonder sometimes.
Dude, for about 5 bucks you could probably get one of those frogs that make you high when you lick 'em.  And have frog's legs for dinner afterwards...  ;D

hanmer

Actually you could get the frog and and get high a few times a week, then have frog legs in the fall.

:)

:)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

Actually, when I was working as a teller in my hay days, I remember reading an article that most of our notes, especially 20s, 50s and 100s had traces of cocaine on them.  And if I recall, when the money goes into the money counting machine, flickers of cocaine dust would become airbourne and inhaled by bank employees.   :P

Smile from your heart.  ;D
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?

So that is why tellers are so easy going....

They are High!!!!!  :o  ;D

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!

Login with username, password and session length