Author
Topic: Nice find down under  (Read 3900 times)
canuckdownunder
« on: May 27, 2009, 01:25:49 am »

Since I moved to Australia I've found it hard to pick up Canadian banknotes for some reason! I've even resorted to buying from an online auction site, which normally I wouldn't do since I like to actually see the notes I'm buying beforehand. And somehow I doubt that all these notes are really "Gem Unc" as advertised!  ::)

I did manage a nice find though, I bought some "perfect" condition notes from a dealer here, decided that the opening bid would be worth it if all the notes actually came in AU and was pleasantly surprised when I ended up winning.

Well of the five notes the only ones I would actually say are uncirculated were two 1954 $1 notes, one of them was a Lawson-Bouey and the other one was a Beattie-Coyne. Imagine the "devilish" look on my face when it arrived, the serial number on it is T/A 3146026, not a bad pickup for $10 Australian!  ;D
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 04:24:21 pm »

If its a devils face note than you did a good purchase, $10 Australian is it about $15 Canadian???
canuckdownunder
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 04:35:55 am »

Yes, it's a devil's face, last prefix. $10 Australian is about $8.75 Canadian.
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 11:08:47 pm »

Nice find!

Do they collect paper money in the same fashions as us or do they have different types of things to look for in there notes?

Bugsy

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
canuckdownunder
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 11:37:01 pm »

Yes, still have lots to learn about the Aussie paper notes but it seems very similar.

Here they have pre- and post-decimal notes, there used to be an Australian pound until the 1960s which was equal in value to the UK pound. So there were 10 shilling, 1 pound, etc. notes.

Then in 1966 they switched over to the Australian dollar and there were a whole new set of notes. Then in the early 1990s they switched over to polymer, or plastic, banknotes. Sure you can put them through the washing machine and not ruin them but I do not like the appearance of them compared to paper notes. But then again I think older banknotes are much more beautiful than modern notes.

An interesting thing I have learned is that you can put banknotes into your pension plan! They have something equivalent to CPP here called Superannunation which is paid as a percentage of your salary, but you control where you put your money. So you can deposit your pernsion money into an account which can then be used to purchase rare coins and banknotes, which must be kept in a safe deposit box. Then when you are retired you can sell the notes as required. According to reports Australian banknotes have provided a higher return than any other asset over the past 30 years.

Login with username, password and session length