Author
Topic: Marking notes entered to the SNDB  (Read 6626 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:14:46 pm »

Just out of curiosity ....I was in Kitchener last week and picked up 10K in used $10 notes and noticed that about 10% of them had the same mark "Cross" on the notes...is this something people are doing once they check the notes and put it back into circulation....or a big coincidence ???

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 11:20:59 pm »

Just out of curiosity ....I was in Kitchener last week and picked up 10K in used $10 notes and noticed that about 10% of them had the same mark "Cross" on the notes...is this something people are doing once they check the notes and put it back into circulation....or a big coincidence ???
Those would almost certainly have been notes that I have entered into the SNDB. I am not aware of anyone else making similar markings.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 02:11:55 pm »

Those would almost certainly have been notes that I have entered into the SNDB. I am not aware of anyone else making similar markings.

Yesterday, I found a $10 note with the "BWJM cancellation" mark as shown above.  Location: Ottawa (6+ hours away).  Did not record the details before exchanging it, of course, since it is already in the SNDB ;)

No hay banda  
ikandiggit
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 08:16:43 pm »

That's funny because today, I saw a $10 bill in the till with the same mark here in Winnipeg.
rocken
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 08:24:33 pm »

In regards to marking ( defacing banknotes ) here is the BOC policy;

The Bank of Canada is aware that certain groups stamp Canadian bank notes in order to track their journey throughout Canada.

While neither the Bank Act nor the Criminal Code deal with the mutilation or defacement of bank notes, the Bank of Canada strongly objects to any mutilation or defacement of bank notes including simple markings similar to your example. All writing on notes limits their life. Such instances of mutilation and defacement carry a cost associated with them due to accelerated requirements for note replacement. Further, the mutilation and defacement of notes is not condoned as Canadian currency is a symbol and source of national pride.

Having said this, the bank note you possess remains legal tender and can be used in commercial transactions.

I hope this information will be helpful and thank you for your interest in Canadian currency.

Sylvie Dionne

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 08:44:05 pm »

Yesterday, I found a $10 note with the "BWJM cancellation" mark as shown above.  Location: Ottawa (6+ hours away).  Did not record the details before exchanging it, of course, since it is already in the SNDB ;)

I think there should be a spot in the catalogue for this lol....

Just like the dentist who used 1951 silver dollars as special gifts for some clients, and each of them had his "signature" stamp on them above the date. 
Guess what - in the catalogue.

BWJM, you are famous!!

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 08:46:32 pm »

I sign the words "purple monkey dishwasher" on every note I enter, in case you find any.  Keep your eyes peeled.

Actually this is why I usually enter notes in smaller batches, so I don't get suckered into entering 100 notes where like 90% are repeat entries.  BELIEVE IT OR NOT, this has already happened to me.... the one bank shipped over their batch of 100s, and I picked them up at another branch a few days later. Sick! :(

I hope you know I am joking about the purple monkey dishwasher signing, although I have used that phrase in some beautiful opportune times for some good times.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 08:48:08 pm by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 08:54:38 pm »

Actually this is why I usually enter notes in smaller batches, so I don't get suckered into entering 100 notes where like 90% are repeat entries.  BELIEVE IT OR NOT, this has already happened to me.... the one bank shipped over their batch of 100s, and I picked them up at another branch a few days later. Sick! :(

That is precisely why I mark my notes. I don't have a sure-fire way of dispersing my notes far and wide (I depend on the banks to do that), so the likelihood of me getting back some notes I've already seen is relatively high. In fact, just yesterday out of about 300 notes, roughly half I had already marked. Seeing the marks sure helps cut the time I waste reentering them.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 11:56:01 am »

what type of writing utensil will be suitable for marking the new polymer notes? 

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 01:53:35 pm »

what type of writing utensil will be suitable for marking the new polymer notes? 

Staedtler Lumocolor permanent markers are designed for overhead projector film and I have found that they work well on polymer notes. 

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com

Login with username, password and session length