Author
Topic: Bank refuse my crisp unc bills/  (Read 4434 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: April 03, 2007, 09:59:24 pm »

Yesterday for the first time I tried to return a large number of unc bills to a bank in Kitchener (not my branch but the bank I deal with)  and the teller refused to take the money.   She said that the bank did not want to have that amount of cash returned without prior notice.
After talking to the manager and threatening to close my accounts and look for another bank to deal with she reluctanly took my money saying that now they would have to have a special pickup that would cost them money. As I left the bank feeling badly about costing them a few bucks I decided to return to see if I could order some bills for next week. To my surprise they said "no", and stated that if I want bills I get what they have.  NO SPECIAL ORDERS. Now that's customer service.
Anyone have any similar problems

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 10:33:00 pm »

That is EVERYONE's problem. :P

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 11:12:31 pm »

What bank/branch was this in Kitchener?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 11:54:48 pm »

I think they should have been happy to get nice crisp bills to hand out to their customers.  Too often the bills are ratty.  Was there anything special about the bills you dumped?  I'm sure a few of is in town would be happy to take them off their hands!

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:05:33 am »

The bottom line is a) it costs the bank money and b) behind these scenes, it looks unusual , which means potential risk.

Up at the top, they do not know why there is an odd money trail, so they have to assume the worst, in order to protect them from being liable.   When it comes to money, it is all about the money.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 02:03:19 am »

When they complained about the cost of a special pick-up, you should have told them it can easily come out of the 4 billion dollar quarterly profit.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 04:03:34 am »

There are a few "Unwritten Rules" when ordering cash.

#1) NEVER force a branch to take money or threaten them (Never bite the hand that feeds you)
#2) Usually to even get bricks you must make an arrangement that you will not bring any cash BACK to the branch.
#3) Never Bring these issues to a manager as they will squash you on the spot (Keep it a a teller lever as they are more likely to build a friendship with you and get to know you)
#4) Banks will ALWAYS complain about money (After all banks don't want money!!!)  :(
#5) Get used to paying for anything and everything with your notes (I get VERY strange looks everyday when I pull out a wad of $5 Notes to pay for EVERYTHING).

I get ALL the comments (Just print them yourself? Just rob a bank? Are you a Drug Dealer?).

Banks get REALLY bent out of shape about bringing large amounts of money. I find if you get to know tellers and bring them 4 - 5 bundles every few days they will sneak it away and it won't raise any alarms. ::)

To be successful you MUST be be a shining example of the perfect customer and remember BANKS ARE BUSINESSES! Many people forget that! So push the right buttons with that in mind and you will get on their good side.  ;)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 09:11:53 am »

Banks in Canada are generally MUCH more friendly than in the US.  When the new GW dollar coins came out and errors were reported, I asked my bank, which is one of the big banks in the US (so probably less customer oriented), if they had these and they indicated they did not order them. I went to another smaller bank where I am not a customer to get some. Also, the US banks charge big fees (US$10 for a Cashier's check, US$25 for a Canadian $ money order) but they do provide notary public work for free.  In exchange for these hassles, you get a bank with branches all over the world as I have practically seen branches in most cities I have visited around the world, so this would appeal to businessmen.  It depends on what your needs are of a bank. If we think banks are unfriendly here, we should check out the banks in Europe.  If you are not a customer, you are not even allowed into the bank.  I once went to a bank in Greece I believe to get some fresh EURO notes in exchange and was told to use the ATM and was not allowed in as I was not a regular customer.  I do not think banks count brick-searching as a service that makes it on the list of priorities. :-[
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 10:24:50 am »

Banks in Canada are already pretty nice, you don't need to be a customer to get bills and coins in exchange. I've had tellers willing to give me 100 $100 bills at times to paw through for anythign special, or tellers willing to go through major hassles to fulfill my orders. Banks in the US make it seem like a hassle when you just ask them to change 5 $20s for a $100 bill!

Banks in Asia, such as in Singapore and Hong Kong are also friendly enough to change a large amount of bills for you if you don't hold an account, especially during New Year's, where you can get brand new banknotes from any bank in any quantity you want.

And there was one time where I deposited 100 brand new $50s back into my bank account and I got the "did you print them yourself" comment, I gave the teller a dirty look, and told him "Why don't you check each bill by yourself?". He immediately backed off and ran them through the counter.  ::)

Login with username, password and session length