Author
Topic: BAI - CBN - Single Note Inspection  (Read 5939 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:25:20 pm »

CBN is currently printing all the Canadian Bank Notes.

The Single Note Inspection is done by BAI. The Bank of Canada has let out a contract starting in 2013 and running until 2018 which is with BAI whose parent company is G&D which is a giant in the currency and security business in its own right.

Here is the link on the public disclosure portion of the Bank of Canada website with that information:

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/contract_2q13.pdf

Just because CBN has bought the building does not mean that BAI cannot rent it from them or that BAI has moved somewhere else. This is a paramount security issue for the printers and so it would make sense that the details are not available as to how the sheets are transported etc.

Every single note that is printed is gone through the Single Note Inspection process since 2013. This has been confirmed with the Bank of Canada. That means all $5 and $10 notes have gone through this process.

In an earlier discussion on this forum I had mentioned that the reason for the bundles to be all mixed up is because of the Single Note Inspection Process.

The machine that is used for Single Note Inspection (SNI) is manufactured by G&D. Not only are new notes processed through the SNI even circulated notes are processed through the same type of machine when they are returned to the Bank of Canada. The Bank of Canada at least has two such machines. They use these machines to remove notes from circulation.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 07:20:11 pm »

Hi Rupiah,

I recall that you were interested in statistics related to gaps in consecutively numbered runs of notes.

I received the following run of $20 bills today:

FVJ 6583890

The note FVJ 6583894 is missing.
All have FPN/BPN 27.

Dean

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 02:28:17 am »

Maybe FVJ 6583894 got stuck inside one of the Single Note Inspection machines.  You know, sort of like a paper jam inside a photocopier.  How ironic would that be?  ::)

No hay banda  
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 11:15:22 pm »

Hi Rupiah,

I recall that you were interested in statistics related to gaps in consecutively numbered runs of notes.

I received the following run of $20 bills today:

FVJ 6583890

The note FVJ 6583894 is missing.
All have FPN/BPN 27.

Dean

Hey Dean,

Thx for sharing. I am very interested in what happens in bundles. Trying to figure out if there is a pattern in which these notes are put together.

Best

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 11:20:16 pm »

Maybe FVJ 6583894 got stuck inside one of the Single Note Inspection machines.  You know, sort of like a paper jam inside a photocopier.  How ironic would that be?  ::)

Nothing ironic about it. It just  got  to be an insert. Went from a single note inspection to a single note replacement:D

Login with username, password and session length