Author
Topic: what value to accept  (Read 5783 times)
Jeanne
« on: July 04, 2015, 03:22:30 pm »

I have various bills I will ultimately sell.  I have the Charlton book and know what their value is.  How much of the Charlton values can one expect to receive.  Example:  Should I expect to get 50 cents on the dollar? more or less?
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 03:34:36 pm »

It all depends on the notes you have, what the buyers are willing to pay and how you choose to sell them (individually VS package). The Charlton catalog is not a book that tells people what to sell their notes at, it is generally a catalog that gives a collector the average value of a note based on trends/demand/supply. The price you put on your notes is whatever price you want and whatever one is willing to pay. Hope this helps.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 04:54:11 pm »

I have various bills I will ultimately sell.  I have the Charlton book and know what their value is.  How much of the Charlton values can one expect to receive.  Example:  Should I expect to get 50 cents on the dollar? more or less?

I will buy all of your notes if you are only want 50 cents on a dollar...in fact I will go as high as 80 cents on the dollar since I feel generous today :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 05:15:49 pm »

I will buy all of your notes if you are only want 50 cents on a dollar...in fact I will go as high as 80 cents on the dollar since I feel generous today :)

Jeanne,
Don't mind Fred.  He just got the impression you were going to sell your notes below face value.  He did not know you meant 50% of the stated catalogue value.

To answer your question, catalogue value is really a dealer wish list, meaning the prices are what dealers WISH to get for their notes.  It's just like how some little girls WISH to become a princess some day.  Certain notes are popular and can be sold for close to book value, others are way way off.  It takes a bit of know how.  If you list the details of some of the notes you have, you might get some advice from forum members.

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 08:33:56 pm »

Jeanne,
Don't mind Fred.  He just got the impression you were going to sell your notes below face value.  He did not know you meant 50% of the stated catalogue value.

To answer your question, catalogue value is really a dealer wish list, meaning the prices are what dealers WISH to get for their notes.  It's just like how some little girls WISH to become a princess some day.  Certain notes are popular and can be sold for close to book value, others are way way off.  It takes a bit of know how.  If you list the details of some of the notes you have, you might get some advice from forum members.

even at 50% of cat prices some notes are still a bargain...less than fv :D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Jeanne
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 11:39:31 pm »

Thanks for the input.  I appreciate it.  I will post some examples when I get my scanner set up. Hopefully, I will get some opinions.
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 01:27:22 pm »

If you do not have a large financial commitment to these notes I would suggest trying the auction route. While riskier, I think its safe to say most notes would realize at the very least 50% of suggested catalogue value and several may end up surprising you.

The key is to use quality images with accurate descriptions.

KC's Canadian Currency
therealco1986
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 06:19:44 pm »

I don't think that the Catalogue Values are what dealers wish they could get.  It goes up and down.  Wouldn't dealers want it to always go up?  It's a reflection of trends that notes are selling for.  I find it is usually quite accurate, especially for run of the mill notes that sell frequently.  When you get something that is more scarce, it is a little more dependent on what the buyer is willing to pay for the note, and what the seller is willing to let it go for.  The more scarce, the less predictable, I would imagine.

Login with username, password and session length