Author
Topic: Series Letter "Q"?  (Read 5543 times)
jonathan
« on: April 24, 2004, 12:56:49 am »

As I understand, there are going to be no AWQ or EWQ prefixes on our $20 notes.

They don't use the same font of letters on the new Journey notes as they do with the birds issues or earlier, so now there should be **Q prefixes on the new Journey notes.

If I ran the Bank of Canada, I'd release the entire spectrum of letter from A to Z (maybe excluding "X")!

The question is...  why are there not going to be any prefixes with series letter "Q"?

Later, Jonathan
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 02:27:59 am »

Q is not used because of its similarity to O.  O is used, on the other hand, because zero would never appear in the third position, whereas both Q and O would.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 02:55:03 am »

Q will never be used since it resembles to much the letter O. It has nothing to do with the zero anymore.
jonathan
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2004, 03:31:19 pm »

BWJM and JB105, I think you're right.

For example, if there ever was to be a $5 AOQ note, people would get them mixed up with AOO (if there is to be an AOO released).

However, I believe that there are no AWQ or EWQ $20 notes released because people would get the prefixes mixed up with AWO and EWO, since the letter "O" looks like a number zero, and the letter "Q" looks more like the letter "O".  I really think that the BoC should keep the series letter "O" as a third letter.

By the way, is there any way of knowing if there will be a prefix AOO on a future Journey $5?

Later, Jonathan
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2004, 07:02:12 pm »

Q has never been used by the BoC since it's inception.

Marc :)
jonathan
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2004, 10:54:12 am »

I believe that series letter "O" may very well be a short-lived third letter in prefixes AWO and EWO on our $20 notes.  I believe that series letter "O" is discontinued - just like series letter "I" in recent months.

So, I guess there is absolutely NO worries about the series letters "O" and "Q" - for now.

But who knows?  We might be surprised if we see AOI and/or AOO on our Journey $5's, but I won't count on third letter "Q" in any prefixes EVER!!!!

But we will have to see AOI and/or AOO to prove whether the series letters "I" and "O" still exists or not.

Later, Jonathan

Login with username, password and session length