Author
Topic: 1975 $50s so pissed off....  (Read 4109 times)
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: February 08, 2007, 03:27:39 pm »

One of my bank teller ladies called me yesterday because she got over 30 1975 $50 notes. She said a lot of them were in nice shape. I went down, a lot of the notes were in EF, I got one in AU, most were Crow/Bauey. There were however 5-6 of these notes that would have been or were in UNC, but somebody basically crumpled them up to either make them looked used or destroyed the notes so nobody else could save/grab those notes. I could tell somebody did that because the notes had razor sharp edges/corners, no stains, marks, no folds, bright colors, deep embossing, totally white paper on ends and on back, the paper wasn't even yellowed. But somebody just crumpled them before handing them in, just take a new bill in your wallet and crumple a note up in your hand, that's what these looked like. Mind you they didn't crumple them into a tight little ball, they were just lightly crumpled in a loose ball, but the bills were not worth keeping in this condition, so I didn't bother getting those bills. Out all the 34 notes, I only got one that was in AU. Rest again weren't worth keeping. But man was I pissed because I could have gotten a good half dozen $50s in UNC if somebody hadn't wrecked them.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 03:52:27 pm »

Did you ever read the Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck?  Fruit growers have surplus fruit that they can't be bothered to sell, so they leave it out in the field to rot, and have to patrol the fields with shotguns to prevent hungry people from taking it.   Sounds a bit like what happened to you with those notes.   :(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 05:28:42 pm by grandish »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 04:55:43 pm »

So do you think I could have sold most of those notes if I bought the whole lot? I didn't think most of the notes would be in high enough grades to sell much over face, there were no rare prefixes or replacement notes. I was happy to get one note for my own collection, but I really didn't think the rest were worth selling/keeping.
Rusty
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 05:39:40 pm »

(for Seth) .... the poor Joads. I just read that classic and found the ending rather shocking .... but then I'm a rather shallow individual.
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 09:43:45 pm »

when ever I hand out 2s or ones that I got for face value if they are au unc I always fold them in half in my wallet

Login with username, password and session length