Author
Topic: 1954 2.00 *B/B notes selling for more than book?  (Read 3839 times)
nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« on: December 16, 2007, 01:14:42 am »

For about the past 3 years I've been following these 1954 *BB 2.00 replacement notes. I've noticed an eBay seller has been selling quite a few of these notes recently in excess of 25.00 plus shipping = 29.00+ :o. The latest Charlton's has these notes listed at 16.00 in UNC. to 20.00 for CUNC. Do these buyers know some inside information on these particular notes, or do they not check their recent catalogue ???. I'm just curious if any Forum members should have any privy information on these notes skyrocketing in value in the next issue ???
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 01:17:49 am »

I'm not aware of anything that might be attracting a higher price.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
eti1
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 10:43:20 pm »

The real price is dictate by the market not the books! The book's are only guide, before every important buy I research what the price should be and pay that price, if I pay the wrong price I will be the only one to blame.
AL-Bob
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:10:41 am »

Yea, I've noticed this too. *B/B is quite common but still attracting more money than the book would say.  It used to be listed at $30 years ago, which is about what it's worth today.

Perhaps a large number on the market temporarily drove down prices. Or the huge gap in prices between some of the rarer replacements and the more common ones just got unsustainably large?

In my experience, even the common Beattie-Rasm. $2's are attracting more than the $16-$20 attributed to the replacement.  Online auction results show that even circulated grade EF/AU, common '54 notes seem to be somewhat under-valued.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 01:06:22 pm by BWJM »

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 11:15:55 pm »

, I've noticed this too. *B/B is quite common but still attracting more money than the book would say.  It used to be listed at $30 years ago, which is about what it's worth today.

Perhaps a large number on the market temporarily drove down prices. Or the huge gap in prices between some of the rarer replacements and the more common ones just got unsustainably large?

IMO:

I think people are waking up to the fact that any replacement in higher grades is a desirable note to collect.   Common notes are going down because they're traded all the time online.  We see so many they've lost their lustre/attraction, while the asterisk replacement (something no longer made) will always rise in value, and are so uncommon in comparison to the regular issue. 

I would say the book is behind most of the 1954 replacements: even the lowly *B/M with the recent no FPN variation, and 67 replacements, are all earning a lot more respect/attention of the collecting community.  I still maintain that the book is behind in the uncommon signature combinations/asterisks (Beattie/Coyne and Bouey/Rasminsky) and the lower numbered issued notes, but we have seen adjustments when it comes to such rarities as the *N/Y $1, *A/B $2 * I/X $5, and some of  the * $5, $10, $20.

numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 06:45:21 pm »

Does anybody know if there are gaps in the *B/B range?
It's one of the most common at 3.28M printed, but maybe 2 ranges will be discovered. Similar to the *A/G $2, with one common range and one very difficult range.
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 12:17:19 am »

I think in my opinion there is a huge gap in the *I/X series

Login with username, password and session length