Author
Topic: Dominion of Canada money  (Read 3661 times)
seagull
« on: August 09, 2007, 05:22:44 pm »

I have a Dominion of Canada 25 cent note with a date on the bottom that says Jan 2 1900. Is this worth anything?
bwho9d
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 05:39:03 pm »

Hi Seagull,

Can you give us more information like the condition? It would really help!

Thanks
seagull
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 01:07:36 pm »

It's old, obviously, but in pretty good condition. It appears that it wasn't cut properly, the top margin is crooked and narrows down to almost nothing. At the bottom it says, "American Bank Note Company Ottawa" It's signed by H Boville Deputy Minister of Finance. My Dad passed away in 1963 and my Mom has kept his old coin collection that's been sitting around for years. He started collecting coins and stuff when he was in WWII. I also have a Five Peso note from the Japanese Government, but it's not in the best condition. Is there any place online where I can find out the price of these items?
AL-Bob
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 01:30:57 pm »

For your 25 cent note:

I don't have a Catalogue with me, but these note are fairly common on the market.  For a well circulated example in "pretty good" condition as you describe, I would say it's probably worth around $5 to $10. 

In contrast, an almost new note with only a light fold or two would be worth as much as $50-$100.  Perfectly preserved, Uncirculated examples are less common and could go for as much as $400-$500!

As for the cutting, this is perfectly normal. These notes were issued to banks as sheets and were cut by hand as needed. In fact, many sheets of various dimensions still exist. Better cut examples (with larger margins) would be worth most especially in the higher grades.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
seagull
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 11:29:57 am »

Thanks so much for the reply. That was the information I was looking for.

Login with username, password and session length