Author
Topic: Collecting Question  (Read 3225 times)
emagdnim90
« on: June 23, 2011, 12:39:45 am »

Hi There,

This might be hard one to respond too.  I work in a hotel where we get old bills from travalers who have saved them from last time they were here, or get them from exchange places at home.  I have been saving some bills that I get in here.

Usually 1954-1979..

I have been posting odd ones in "what its worth" and have not found any value in them.  I like the look of them and like the history but of course like to see some value.  Is there any information what I should keep or what I should just spend...Will these bills be worth money one day if I hold onto them or are they just so common now?  I have so many $1's come through and $2's come through... Is it just a good idea to get the book and check each bill for value?  I will go broke if I buy every bill out of my till.....

Any information for a newbie or wanna be haha.. would be great!

Tim
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 06:29:34 am »

Any information for a newbie or wanna be haha.. would be great! Tim
Personally I would pick up a catalogue (the new one should be out shortly)
It may be easy to spot certain notes that have value such as notes with solid digits ie 7777777 or 5555555, notes that are referred to as ladders ie 1234567, or 1234321, or notes that have errors where the serial #'s and/or prefix letters don't match up on each side without a catalogue, but until you get familiar with notes you may accidentally pass up a great note because of the prefix, signature combination, print year, replacement issue, etc...
I think if you have the time to go through notes, and you have a catalogue to refer to, it could prove to be invaluable..
I am sure that there are many collectors on this site that because of where they work, or just because of their persistance to constantly check notes that they gather in circulation.... many treasures have been found....Good luck and welcome to the hobby...keep us up to date....people are always curious as to what others find out there...

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 11:39:04 pm »

You could also borrow a Charlton Canadian Government Paper Money catalogue from the library or buy one used online.  Until you know how to read it and get more comfortable with the hobby (what to look for, etc) it may be worth your while to spend a little time to ease into it rather than dive head first and get frustrated because you don't have a super rare note.

I used to work at a car wash and that's where I got my grubby little hands on a few common notes.  Most were not worth much but I eventually found a few replacements (a couple I still have) and over time traded up once I learned what I wanted to collect. 

Good luck,
 ;D

Login with username, password and session length