Author
Topic: Auction house or dealer?  (Read 3199 times)
expat
« on: February 14, 2009, 08:15:51 pm »

I'm interested in your thoughts on auction house v. dealer when a non-collector has a hoard of paper currency and coins. Many thanks for your input.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 08:28:25 pm »

Both options involve not getting quite as much as possible for your items.

Dealers have overhead costs and generally cannot pay more than 60% of book value without losing money.

Auction firms charge a commission of approximately 15% to the seller for all items sold. They also charge buyer's premiums to the purchasers. This often results in buyers bidding slightly less for items as they take into account the additional costs on top of the hammer price.

My suggestion would be to list the notes for sale on the Trading Post of these forums.

Alternatively, if you are interested in having someone else manage the sale of your items, please send me a PM for more information. I have done several of these sales in the past and I have one scheduled to start within the next month or two.

Welcome to the forum!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:17:14 pm »

I'm interested in your thoughts on auction house v. dealer when a non-collector has a hoard of paper currency and coins. Many thanks for your input.

You could always list your items on eBay, internet has little to no overhead cost. But then because of economic crisis, you may not get what it's worth.

Why don't you let me know what you got and I might be interested in some items.
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 04:19:48 pm »

By the time you pay listing fees, final value fees, foreign-exchange difference (if it's an international transaction) and usurious paypal fees to retrieve your money, you may be better off paying a negotiated auction-house commission, rather than listing on ebay.

Login with username, password and session length