Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 66242 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #495 on: January 12, 2024, 07:37:23 pm »

January 12th finds:  Back on the paper trail!

I stopped by one of my banks and the teller had a bunch of nice birds $10s and journey $20s for me.  He said that “an older guy brought it all in.” 
Recently, I got a bunch of crisp multicolour and birds notes from this branch and I suspect that it’s the same “older guy” who is depositing all of this old cash because his grandkids “didn’t want it.”

Their loss, my gain!

The star of the show today is an ATX replacement note and the runner up is a high number AEJ prefix $10.

While I was there, I asked if they had any customer wrapped coin rolls.  The head teller was standing right there and she said “that’s all we ever get at this branch”. 

So, I bought a box of dimes…We’ll see what lies inside.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #496 on: January 12, 2024, 10:25:29 pm »

January 12th update:

Coin roll hunting highs and lows…All in the same box!

It was bound to happen sooner or later…The box of dimes I brought home today had three rolls that contained a penny, leaving me short 27 cents.  😡

Luckily, the losses were offset by 39 US dimes and one 1967 centennial silver dime.

I was able to get $18.30 worth of pre-2000 nickels, seven 2017 commemoratives, and one 10c piece from Barbados dated 2007.

There’s still silver out there if you’re willing to put in the work to find it and you have to be willing to risk taking a loss sometimes.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #497 on: January 14, 2024, 12:30:57 pm »

January 13th finds:

The silver finds continue!

I went to one of my banks yesterday to check for paper money.
The teller didn’t have any, so I asked for customer rolled coins.  The teller obliged with $100 in dimes.

Out of these rolls, I found:

16 US dimes
6 Bluenose under sail, including one coloured coin.
$7.10 in pre-2000 dimes including one really nice 1991 dated dime.
One British 5 pence coin from 2019
One 10c piece from Barbados dated 2007
One 10c piece from the East Caribbean States dated 2009
One US penny 2007P.  (Interestingly, the roll that had the penny in it was not short.)
And best of all, one 1968 silver dime.

Enjoy!
Dean

Breanna72
« Reply #498 on: January 14, 2024, 12:54:50 pm »

Hey Dean!  I thought of you when I was standing in line at the bank the other day and a man and a little boy walked in with two pillow cases full of rolled coins (pay-load the size of two bowling balls).  My eyes met with the man and I said "pennies?" and he said "no, we already did the pennies.  These are quarters."  I fleetingly thought about buying them from him, but the staff at that branch is a bit 'snitty' so didn't want to rock the boat.  Nice haul.  The Bluenose with or without colour are my favorites.
Breanna
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #499 on: January 14, 2024, 03:18:48 pm »

Hey Dean!  I thought of you when I was standing in line at the bank the other day and a man and a little boy walked in with two pillow cases full of rolled coins (pay-load the size of two bowling balls).  My eyes met with the man and I said "pennies?" and he said "no, we already did the pennies.  These are quarters."  I fleetingly thought about buying them from him, but the staff at that branch is a bit 'snitty' so didn't want to rock the boat.  Nice haul.  The Bluenose with or without colour are my favorites.
Breanna

Hi Breanna,
That’s an interesting story!
If you had been successful in buying the bags of coins, I doubt that anything of value (silver) would have been left behind since they sounded like collectors.
It’s interesting that the customers brought in loose coins to deposit.  I know that all of my banks insist on the coins being rolled up and some branches prefer it if you deposit a whole box of 50 rolls rather than a partial box.

Cheers,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #500 on: January 14, 2024, 03:21:50 pm »

January 14th finds:

Coinstar cashout!

I went to the grocery store and I always check the Coinstar reject tray as I leave.

This time, there were 4 Canadian nickels waiting to be claimed, two of them dated 1978.

Hey, finding free coins is always fun!

Enjoy,
Dean

Breanna72
« Reply #501 on: January 14, 2024, 05:58:51 pm »

It’s interesting that the customers brought in loose coins to deposit. 

Sorry, to clarify, the coins were rolled, just carried in pillowcases.  :)

Edit: And yes, I agree with you that the rolls were likely cherry picked.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 06:33:15 pm by Breanna72 »
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #502 on: January 15, 2024, 06:54:41 pm »

January 15th finds:

More journey notes…

I got a call from one of my banks today.  The teller said that he got some paper notes and so I went over after work to check them out.

I took all of the notes that he saved:

Two journey $20s and five journey $20s.

I asked for rolled coin and received $80 in quarters.
Out of these rolls, there was:

$1 worth of US quarters
One 1983 RCMP quarter
One 2013 Orca quarter
One 2017 commemorative
One 2006 Bravery quarter.

There was only $2 worth of pre-2000 quarters but I kept them aside anyway.
Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #503 on: January 16, 2024, 08:41:54 pm »

January 16th finds:

Back on the paper trail…and more pennies too!

I stopped by one of my banks and the friendly teller said that she had pennies…Lots of pennies.
There were 100 vintage rolls plus three bags of loose coins.

I could only carry so much, so I chose to take home the rolled pennies first.  The teller said that she would keep the bags for me until I wanted them.

The teller also brought out the mutilated note pile and let me look through it.

I chose a few journey $50s, a $10, and a journey $100 EJV 9991510 the highest in the SNDB

Then, there were the birds $50s, $5s and best of all, a birds $100 AJX replacement note with the hidden PBN

I figured that I should also pick up some rolled coins, considering my good luck.  So, I brought home $100 in quarters and $100 in dimes to see if my silver streak continues…

I stopped at the dollar store on my way home and I received a polymer $5 INR 2481558…the lowest number in the SNDB so far…

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 08:51:15 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #504 on: January 17, 2024, 12:07:17 am »

January 16th coin roll hunt update:

Out of the $200 worth of coins I brought home today, I found:

$5.70 in pre-2000 dimes
$1.75 in pre-2000 quarters
Three 1 Piso coins from the Philippines, 2002, 2010 and 2015
Three US quarters
Four Bluenose under sail dimes (three coloured)
Three 2017 commemoratives
One US dime (This was unusual…I usually get many more US coins in the rolls).
And best of all, one 1968 silver dime!

The silver keeps popping up.  I have gone to several different banks to get coin rolls and have found at least one silver coin at every location so far.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #505 on: January 21, 2024, 01:26:13 pm »

January 21st finds:

Weekend coin roll hunt.

I went to a couple of banks yesterday and came away with two boxes of dimes and a box of quarters.  Unfortunately, there was no paper money.☹️

One box was labelled TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) and the other batch was in hand rolled wrappers.

The second box of dimes was really grungy.  The coins were oxidized badly and I suspect that they were metal detector finds or they were stored in a damp basement for a long time.

After a really dirty search, I found:

$43.10 in pre-2000 dimes.
$4.00 in US dimes.
Four Bluenose under sail dimes (non coloured)
Four 2017 commemoratives.
Two 5 pence coins from the UK (dared 2004 and 2010)
One 10c piece from the East Caribbean States, dated 2019

And…one silver dime dated 1968

Sometimes, you really have to dig through the dirt to find treasure.

From the quarter box, I found:
$10 in pre-2000 caribou coins.
One 25c piece from the East Caribbean States, dated 2017
And a variety of commemorative coins.

Highlights of the quarter box include:
Some really nice millenium quarters, a holed quarter, and two 1968 nickel alloy quarters that look like they were broken out of uncirculated sets.

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 01:31:41 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #506 on: January 21, 2024, 01:30:34 pm »

Close up view of January 21st highlights:

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #507 on: January 23, 2024, 09:19:50 pm »

January 23rd finds:

A paper money drought…

I went to one bank on my way home today.  I asked for paper money, but they had none.  I asked for a box of dimes so that I wouldn’t leave empty handed.  The teller said that she could only give me $50 worth of dimes which I gladly accepted.

Two of the 10 rolls were machine wrapped and had nothing in them.  All of the finds came from the 8 customer wrapped rolls.

One silver dime dated 1962
5 US dimes
Two 2017 commemoratives
and some nickel alloy pre-2000 dimes round out this hunt.

Silver is still out there!

Enjoy!
Dean

rxcory
« Reply #508 on: January 23, 2024, 10:37:19 pm »

The same thing happens here in the states -- lots of Canadian coins and some other random foreign stuff ends up in circulation. When I was in college in the 90's (back before everyone paid with debit/credit cards) I worked nights at a grocery store, and I used to pick out the Canadian coins and put them in a mason jar at home. After seeing so many of your posts I was thinking that jar must still be around somewhere...

After some hunting I managed to find it. It's overwhelmingly pennies, but a lot of everything else too. For pennies there were 5 King George VI cents with a couple from before 1948, about twenty with a younger QE II, 4 of the peace cents and 3 of the 1992 commem., out of around 200 pennies.

About the only other interesting thing was a couple of 12-sided nickels, one with KG VI and the other with the younger QE II. Some of the quarters are from the late 60's and could have a slightly different metal composition, not sure.

At any rate, I set aside all the interesting stuff, which didn't even amount to $1 face value. I'll probably deposit the rest at the bank when I'm back in BC this spring. I know that's cringeworthy to coin collectors, but it would be cost-prohibitive to mail it from the US, and everything is well-circulated so I doubt there's much value there. At least I'm repatriating it all back to Canada!  :D

CPMS member 1994
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #509 on: January 24, 2024, 06:43:50 am »

The same thing happens here in the states -- lots of Canadian coins and some other random foreign stuff ends up in circulation. When I was in college in the 90's (back before everyone paid with debit/credit cards) I worked nights at a grocery store, and I used to pick out the Canadian coins and put them in a mason jar at home. After seeing so many of your posts I was thinking that jar must still be around somewhere...

After some hunting I managed to find it. It's overwhelmingly pennies, but a lot of everything else too. For pennies there were 5 King George VI cents with a couple from before 1948, about twenty with a younger QE II, 4 of the peace cents and 3 of the 1992 commem., out of around 200 pennies.

About the only other interesting thing was a couple of 12-sided nickels, one with KG VI and the other with the younger QE II. Some of the quarters are from the late 60's and could have a slightly different metal composition, not sure.

At any rate, I set aside all the interesting stuff, which didn't even amount to $1 face value. I'll probably deposit the rest at the bank when I'm back in BC this spring. I know that's cringeworthy to coin collectors, but it would be cost-prohibitive to mail it from the US, and everything is well-circulated so I doubt there's much value there. At least I'm repatriating it all back to Canada!  :D

Hi rxcory:

Please post pictures of the coins you saved before you deposit them.  The pennies will surely be destroyed if they are returned to the bank.

For pennies, anything 1996 or older is copper.

For dimes, anything before 2000 is nickel alloy.  1968 could be 50% silver or it could be nickel alloy.  Silver coins are non magnetic.  You want to look for the super rare 1969 large date dime.

For nickels, anything from 1982-2000 is cupronickel (Some 2000 dated nickels are plated steel) and anything that is 1955-1981 is nickel.
Of course, you know about the chromium plated series of coins from 1952-54 or 1943-45 and tombac war nickels.

In quarters, 1968 is also a transition year.  Some 1968 dated coins are silver and others are nickel alloy.  Silver coins tend to have a more whitish appearance and are non-magnetic.

Thanks,
Dean

« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 06:51:23 am by Dean »

Login with username, password and session length