Author
Topic: PREVIEW - Charlton Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition  (Read 6348 times)
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100

Canadian Government Paper Money
21st Edition
Author: R. J. Graham (Editor)
Editor: W. K. Cross (Publisher)
Price: CDN $19.95 US $19.95 UK £14.95
Release Date: July 17, 2008 
 416 pages
Dimensions: 5.5 x 8.5
ISBN: 9780889683334

The 21st Edition of the Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money will be released at the Canadian Numismatic Association convention in Ottawa, July 17 – 20, 2008. New in this catalogue are listings of SNRs – single note replacements. This is a quite recent development in collecting, pursued by Journey Note enthusiasts. In response to a good suggestion from a contributor, the Journey note listings have now been separated into three categories – regular issue notes, sheet replacement notes and single note replacements. This should make the listings much easier to navigate. “Tips for Collectors” introduced in the 20th edition and containing note census data and other useful information, proved to be a popular innovation. Consequently many additional “Tips” are provided in the new edition, and all census information, drawn from published registers, has been brought up to date. In this edition prices continue to move forward for most areas, and retreat in a few. The market for Dominion notes remains quite strong, current economic uncertainty notwithstanding, and prices have moved ahead for many issues and grades, with none in decline. The situation with Bank of Canada notes is more mixed. Notes of the 1935 issue continue to attain ever higher price levels for most denominations and grades. Notes of the 1937 issue signed Osborne-Towers show strength, while values for 1954 Devil’s Face asterisk notes climb even higher. The 1954 modified portrait replacement notes show modest advances or are steady. Selected notes from the multicolour issue, and especially the birds issue, have fallen in price to reflect current market reality. A few Journey notes have declined in value, notably the $10 prefix BER printed in 2003, which is not quite as rare as it once seemed, but avid insert replacement note collectors keep demand strong for notes in their specialty. Solid number notes and especially serial number 1 notes have risen substantially in value, although demand for millions numbered notes has not been increasing. Most error note values are holding steady at this time, with very spotty increases. More listings have been added, including a few early proofs, a newly discovered replacement prefix and some new error notes, and of course new prefixes released in the past year have been brought up to date.

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 06:57:10 pm »

A few Journey notes have declined in value, notably the $10 prefix BER printed in 2003, which is not quite as rare as it once seemed,

According to the 20th edition a BER in AU is catalogued at $1000.00.
Are you saying that the catalogue price will be lower?
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 07:21:55 pm »

Sounds like that to me, as well as some bird issue notes.

Gary_T
jarod
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 07:23:14 pm »

Hi Canada-banknotes,

The 21st Edition has not released yet, where did you get all these information?  I thought rare notes appreciate in values, especially BER 2003 and BEL notes.  What about $5 with AOZ prefix?? 

Jarod
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 07:25:37 pm »

Hi Canada-banknotes,

The 21st Edition has not released yet, where did you get all these information?  I thought rare notes appreciate in values, especially BER 2003 and BEL notes.  What about $5 with AOZ prefix?? 

Jarod

I am assuming that when a note is not as rare as it is believed to be... the price drops since the suppy has increased....but how do we really confirm this?????
FRIEDSQUID

Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 07:32:49 pm »

Here is a link to the Charlton press web site with a few pages as examples.

I really hope they are done with the bird issued note covers after this one.

http://www.charltonpress.com/NumismaticsBook.asp?v_ISBN=9780889683334

Gary_T
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 07:46:18 pm »

Why do they have to use ugly colours on the books? (BROWN  ???)

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 07:50:48 pm »

Why do they have to use ugly colours on the books? (BROWN  ???)
And what color would you prefer  ??? PINK ???

1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 07:57:59 pm »

Blue,Red,Green?

Brown just seems like a boring colour. I don't want it to stand out in a bright pink but,maybe they could add some colour...

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 08:06:07 pm »

Blue,Red,Green?

Brown just seems like a boring colour. I don't want it to stand out in a bright pink but,maybe they could add some colour...

If you use your catalogue a lot you will slowly see it turn RED from the blood off your paper cuts...  ;D

canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 09:12:04 pm »

A few Journey notes have declined in value, notably the $10 prefix BER printed in 2003, which is not quite as rare as it once seemed...

See:   Topic: 2003 $10 Jenkins-Dodge, BER (BC-63c)

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=6562.0

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
eti1
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2008, 07:38:11 am »

The catalogue is the color of the note it display on the front page in this case a bird 2$.
Raven
  • “Money IS the root of all evil.”
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 10:53:16 pm »

If you use your catalogue a lot you will slowly see it turn RED from the blood off your paper cuts...  ;D

Did someone mention blood?

Poor little Punky, he is not feeling well, shall I get you a copy of this Charleton book to cheer you up. I kinda owe you for all the favours you did for Edgar and I. Or I could loan you my old Latin Vulgate Bible, you seem to like quoting latin phrases anyway.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 08:46:19 pm by Raven »

Login with username, password and session length