Author
Topic: PROCESSED/DOCTORED PAPER MONEY -- CHANGING TIMES?  (Read 3489 times)
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« on: August 16, 2006, 02:02:30 pm »

I would like to draw to your attention some highly refreshing comments that appeared in a sales advertisement by SMYTHE of New York City in the August 2006 issue of BANK NOTE REPORTER, i.e.

"We will not knowingly sell any item that has been repaired, restored, processed, cleaned, pressed or conserved in any way without disclosing those facts to the potential buyer".  

Trimming is not explicitly mentioned although perhaps that is implicitly included in "restored" or "processed". Moreover, heavy trimming is usually self-evident if a scan of the note is available (as long as it was scanned against a dark background!).

I've been "bitten" many times over the last 35 years by overgraded notes and misleading descriptions and I'm sure I'm not alone in that respect.  

Let us hope that all sellers, whether they be public auctioneers, eBayers, mail order dealers, or private sellers, will soon start adhering to SMYTHE's highly commendable "Code of Disclosure".  

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 09:54:23 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 02:59:10 pm »

I would suggest you contact the seller about their omittance about 'trimmed notes'.

To ASSuME this oversight, is setting yourself up for another bite  ;)
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 03:31:50 pm »

A good idea! I've sent Smythe (www.smytheonline.com) an email as follows:

=========================================

Gentlemen,

I was very impressed by the "Code of Disclosure" that you published in your latest ad in Bank Note Reporter, i.e.,
"We will not knowingly sell any item that has been repaired, restored, processed, cleaned, pressed or conserved in any way without disclosing those facts to the potential buyer".  

I have already drawn your Code of Disclosure to the attention of the members of the Canadian Paper Money Forum (www.cdnpapermoney.com) in the hope that more sellers will decide to adopt your Code.

The only thing that appears to be missing from your Code of Disclosure is some sort of reference to "TRIMMED" notes ......
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 09:57:23 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length