Author
Topic: Insert population  (Read 4129 times)
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« on: August 17, 2006, 06:58:48 pm »

An interesting statement was made regarding the high HOG range. The insert range is 20,000 notes but it is beleived (and I agree ) that it's probable that the full range was not issued. My question is this: What would be the average % of notes released within a range, and of those, how many would be found?
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 10:50:37 pm »

Exellent question....  :)

As Insert Range A and Insert Range B may have the same Range (IE: 20,000 Notes) but each may have significantly different number of notes actually printed and released.  :-?

Ranges have been documented but actual numbers have not.  :-/

What we need to look at is the serial number trends we see in the inserts. Such as my HOR Inserts. Every note I got ALWAYS came as 3 in sequence and the last digits were ALWAYS 75,76,77. So with that in mind there was only a potantial of 3 Notes printed for every 100 notes in the range.  :o
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 10:51:25 pm by X-Savior »

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 01:58:59 am »

Careful! That just means that 3 sheets of HOR were inserted into the stack of sheets.Each brick position will have the same pattern.

IF HOG high were only found as singles, then possibly it could be as low as ONE sheet. We could tell that from the serial numbers. I believe there are at least two sheets, if I remember my old numbers correctly. Still a nice tiny number.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 09:36:02 am »

Don't jump to any conclusions until we see a few more notes in the market. The 2 HOGs sold on ebay were from the same sheet. This seller has already auctioned at least 2 other HOGs on eBay. The exact numbers, I have documented, indicate 15 sheets. The high/low range seems to be 70/34 indicating at least 37 sheets. I know of one find where the collector only kept the 9 notes from the middle of a brick since they were the better of both groups. None of the notes I have personally seen are really nice. Most have either a bent corner or a samll pinch crease.

The number of BEL and R 2003 are quoted from the WIKI registry as gospel. The actual number of both currently held by collectors, I can guantee, is greater than the 20 or so indicated in the registry. The population in collectors hands may be small but certainly not as small as the registry would indicate.
Lets not go "HOG wild". Documentation and time will eventually give us a better judgement on the numbers of HOG highs out there.

Gary    
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 10:20:11 am »

Sorry everyone. I was just using the HOG find as an example. What I was trying to do is figure out how many notes may have been found (on average) in a 20,000 note range. Take GOT or GOV in the bird series 5's for example. I'm sure only a handful of these notes are out there. Now compare this to the Journey HNN with a 40,000 note range. Is it safe to say twice as many (on average)? The prefixes I am using are for example. I know there is no way to know the exact #'s for sure. I'm just looking for a ballpark # so I can compare these to the *ZZ's and CI's of the past.

Scott
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 01:07:11 pm »

Very good points....  :)

The HOG Inserts also pose another issue. With them found in small groups, how many were actually found by collectors and how many went straight into circulation?

If there is only a handful of UNC notes this will have a big effect on the trend value.  :o

Yes, I would also like to know the "on-average" number of inserts produced for a given range of say 20,000.  :-/

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
Don_D
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 01:51:25 pm »

Still the term 'population' here annoyed me.  Is it canadiana ? variety ? error ?
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 02:42:28 pm »

From Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

Population:
4 : a group of individual persons, objects, or items from which samples are taken for statistical measurement.

Login with username, password and session length