Author
Topic: Nine out of 10 Canadian banknotes studied laced with cocaine: U.S. research  (Read 6147 times)
noon

i was looking at some news tonight and i couldn't miss this
Story  ;D
just open the link for the full story it's intresting may be by collectin $$$
you could get some coce looool  ::) just joking

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090817/national/cocaine_money
Don_D

The results in the U.S. were similar. The researchers examined 234 bills from 17 U.S. cities and found that nearly 90 per cent of the notes contained trace amounts of cocaine.

so what is your point ?
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.

Canadian currency contains traces of cocaine: study
Updated Mon. Aug. 17 2009 8:10 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Think you've never touched cocaine in your life? Think again, says a new study, which found traces of the drug on more than 85 per cent of Canadian paper currency.

Researchers from the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth conducted chemical tests on banknotes from 30 cities in five countries: Canada, the United States, Brazil, China and Japan.

They found the highest levels of cocaine on U.S. and Canadian currency, which had an average contamination rate of between 85 and 90 per cent.

China and Japan had the lowest contamination rates, between 12 and 20 per cent. Brazil was still high at 80 per cent of notes contaminated with coke.

The researchers presented their findings Sunday at a meeting of the American Chemical Society in Washington.

The findings suggest cocaine abuse is a more widespread problem than the average person realizes, and may be on the rise in some regions, lead study author Yuegang Zuo said in a news release.

According to Zuo, the percentage of contaminated U.S. currency rose nearly 20 per cent compared to a similar study conducted two years ago.

"I'm not sure why we've seen this apparent increase, but it could be related to the economic downturn, with stressed people turning to cocaine," Zuo said.

The research may offer some help to law enforcement and outreach agencies that want to study patterns of drug use in a given community, Zuo said.

Researchers are not at all surprised to find traces of cocaine on banknotes, which can become contaminated during drug deals or when a user snorts cocaine through a rolled-up bill.

Bills can also become contaminated when they pass through currency-counting machines at banks.

For their research, Zuo and his colleagues analyzed 234 U.S. banknotes and found that up to 90 per cent contained traces of cocaine.

Amounts ranged from .006 micrograms (which is several thousands of times smaller than a grain of sand) to more than 1,240 micrograms of cocaine (about 50 grains of sand).

But the highest levels were found on Canadian notes, with amounts ranging from 2.4 micrograms to more than 2,530 micrograms.

While the number of contaminated notes is high, the amount of cocaine is actually so small that average folks need not worry about potential health, or legal, problems.

"For the most part, you can't get high by sniffing a regular banknote, unless it was used directly in drug uptake or during a drug exchange," Zuo said. "It also won't affect your health and is unlikely interfere with blood and urine tests used for drug detection."

Smile from your heart.  ;D
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

We all new brick searching was addictive, but atleast we were dealing with new banknotes....now everyone is searching for BTT and BTU errors in circulated banknotes.....how can we be sure what they see is not a hallucination :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member

:D

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Bill49

Going to have to add "Licked- saliva stains" to note damage/ condition.  ;D
Manada
  • Very Senior Member

Going to have to add "Licked- saliva stains" to note damage/ condition.  ;D

And don't forget boogers.  :o
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:41:34 pm by Manada »

But always, there remained the discipline of steel. - Conan the Barbarian
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member

And don't forget boogers.

That's so sick. I've got a friend that runs a business that goes threw lots of cash and he's always buggin' me to go threw the cash to see if any of the notes are valuable but it's just so disgusting, i have to wear gloves every time and in my mind I'm always thinking that touching old money is no different then touching public urinals!!! which is why i never use cash. l :P ol

sorry a little off topic  ::)

MG

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408

One more reason to switch toward polymer notes... ;)
 Australia had understood that since 20 years now...

noon

One more reason to switch toward polymer notes... ;)
 Australia had understood that since 20 years now...

I do agree with you
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member

That's so sick. I've got a friend that runs a business that goes threw lots of cash and he's always buggin' me to go threw the cash to see if any of the notes are valuable but it's just so disgusting, i have to wear gloves every time and in my mind I'm always thinking that touching old money is no different then touching public urinals!!! which is why i never use cash. l :P ol

sorry a little off topic  ::)

MG

The worst is breathing in dirty note dust.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Bill49

Lets not forget about all the street hookers that handle all the twentys.....you dont see them using handy wipes after a job!! ;D

Login with username, password and session length