Author
Topic: Two Stolen, 1954 $1000's ... info provided from a CCRS member posting  (Read 4470 times)
Rusty

http://www.canadiancoin.com/

Imperial Coins Theft

Hi everyone,

I was talking with Ed at Imperial here in Hamilton, and he mentioned that he had a guy steal 2 1954 $1000 from his store, and I offered to post the serials here as an alert.

Odds are that the person who stole them will just spend them, but in the event that they surface, the serial numbers are:

AK1021726 AK1021724

Thanks

Steve, 5/16/2010
CCRS member since: 11/11/2009
2010 CCRS Patron

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious

While we're scouting for those notes, here is a set of notes that was stolen from me in shipment by registered mail...

{http://www.give-a-buck.com/special/birds0000082a.jpg}

{http://www.give-a-buck.com/special/birds0000082b.jpg}

They were en route from Ottawa to New Brunswick.  I doubt they even left town.  This theft occurred last year at this time, and I have written off the loss without reporting it to the authorities.  However, I think it's a terrible shame that these notes could be lost to the numismatic community forever.  The possibility exists, however small, that the notes actually reached their destination (despite the lack of tracking info) and that the buyer never told me.  If that's the case, he's in possession of stolen property.  Keep an eye open for these notes in eastern Canada.

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

If that's the case, he's in possession of stolen property.  Keep an eye open for these notes in eastern Canada.
Luckily it has not happened to me, but I was wondering if anyone would think that this is a good idea...for a thread that stays open.
If anyone sells a note and is told that it is not received by the purchaser or perhaps never sent in the first place and the seller tries to resell it, we keep an ongoing list of specifics for that note in case it should ever pop up for sale again...only a suggestion
I am not in any way implying anything, but these things obviously happen whether is is sent regular mail, registered, or Xpresspost...   any comments are appreciated.
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious

T'would be nice if we could do something like that.  I'm currently waiting for a note that I bought for a fraction of catalogue value and it has not arrived, and I suspect it may never arrive.  A board exclusively for stolen notes and items that just never arrived sounds like a good idea.  I'm sure there's some underlying reason why it can't happen, though.  Gotta be concerned about the privacy rights of the perps or something like that.

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

Gotta be concerned about the privacy rights of the perps or something like that.
I don't think it would be a good idea to mention any person(s) ...but only the specifics of the banknote that has not been received.
I'm think if someone ends up buying a note that was suspect... or obtain one they can always pm the party to pursue the issue or get questions answered about that specific transaction.
ex 1937 $5 O/T AC 5890301 sent via reg mail and was not received by buyer.
something as simple as that...keeping the thread simple...no additional comments unless it relates to finding/buying etc the note in question...opinions?

moneycow

Great idea.
I returned a note to a forum member due to a grade disagreement and magically, the note never showed up at the sellers address.   ::)
To be able to keep the thread open and of a mangeable size it would be appropriate to post the note details and circumstances, but without a stream of chatter afterwards.

I support the idea.

Craig
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593

I would like to start to thread for members to list any notes that they have lost, had stolen, sent to a buyer and was told it was not received, returned back to a seller and was told it was not received, etc.
Please provide any or all of the following information without any names mentioned:
Catalogue #, signatures, prefix and serial number, denomination, condition, TPG if it was, etc. Whatever you feel is relevant.
I don't think scans would be necessary since it would likely take up too much space to retain...
Maybe mmars can start the ball rolling by adding his since his notes are already been mentioned...maybe we will get lucky in returning some notes that have been missing in action, to their rightful owners, or atleast find out where their new homes are....
FRIEDSQUID

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious

A good name for the thread/board would be "Register of missing notes".  It would be best to avoid using the word "stolen".  It would be separate from threads like this one.

No hay banda  
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member

Before things get out of hand here, I would like to defer this suggestion to the rest of the moderators and let them decide what they want to do. Please do not go creating new threads asking people to post all their missing/stolen/lost notes, etc. Before we charge ahead, we need to take a breath, make a plan and then move forward.

Should anything further happen as a result of this suggestion, a moderator will make an announcement at a later time. Thank you.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length