Author
Topic: 1974 $2 RS TEST NOTE AND RADAR!  (Read 7170 times)
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« on: October 18, 2006, 12:20:12 am »

Hey all,

I did know where to post this bad boy  :o the rare RS test note and a radar note wow in the auction for the Torex show comming up the last weekend of October. Who is going?

Arthur

[attachment deleted by admin]

CPMS Member 1564
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 12:48:24 am »

A very nice note indeed, would look especially nice in my changeover radar collection!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 12:48:58 am by Oli1001 »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 06:35:22 pm »

Its beginning to look interesting again,  8-) How many rare notes will you 2 get for little above face this time?  I wonder if I can make a good deal? Or are those days just about done?   :-/

OK I'd put that RS $2.00 well north of $1000
what say  youuuuu 's???

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 09:23:53 pm »

Combination notes generally don't do as well as expected.  The exception is radar asterisk notes... quite popular and appealing to many people.  But error replacements, error radars, low-number asterisks etc. don't trade for huge premiums

I agree but I think that note will do well-- I just was dreaming of affording that note at any price!   I wish I could afford the RS note you offered, just like I wish I could afford a lot of notes I see on the forum and the ones you mentioned.   I should make this auction though-- just as an exercise of discipline.  I don't normally go to them because I'm afraid of losing control on a note and then trying to figure out how to finance it.  (I guess a lot of collectors do that)  

canadianpaper
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 01:49:42 am »

Just to give some conviction to my opinion to myself (lol) I'll side with the prediction that the note will go to a collector who first and foremost is looking for an RS note and will appreciate the fact its a radar second. IE not to a radar collector first and it being an RS note second. RS notes are not exceptionally popular but I think the general interest in an UNC example should be fair - SO I think it will sell for Catalogue +/- 5%.
Well let's see if I'm on the market with this note...lol...
Hopefully, I'm undervaluing this note here as I've collected the 1974 $2 and have an RS in UNC...lol...
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 01:51:22 pm »

This was how I made my "gesstimate" completely ignoring present day market conditions, and other extraneous factors.

An unc $2. RS is $900 and a 3 digit radar is $25 but since there's a small range printed only a limited number of radars would even be printed.  Out of the 1000 or so a scarce few would have been kept (esp in UNC) so the rarity is more like a 2 digit (or $75 note) but all the more significant -- because its a test and radar (so seldom seen in UNC).  Think what people are willing to pay for a radar BEK change-over, or other shorter prefix.  

So I think most collectors would say that the note should be around $975 (and no dickering because its an exceptional double rarity).  With a collector who's into buying asterisk (replacement) errors,  radars, low numbers, etc, they'd be willing to spend a little more knowing how seldom such a note is offered.  Thus "north of $1000"

However I wish R-private's or Cdnpaper's predictions hold true.

happy_philosopher
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 12:01:41 pm »

Does anyone know how much it sold for finally??
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 12:14:24 pm »

It sold for $600 Canadian.

Arthur
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 12:14:51 pm by Archey80 »

CPMS Member 1564
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 01:46:42 pm »

I was almost sure it went to the 'mail'?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 02:15:53 pm »

RS test note sold for
$600 Canadian

Wow: here I am again way over-estimating something I thought would have been far more appreciated/sought after.  I wish
I was in the market to have been at that auction because I think that would have been a fantastic note to have won at that price.  

Everyone I speak to these days are "downing" the S/R and R/S test notes.  I mean both dealers and collectors. They all talk
about their continual slide in book value.  I know this may be a reality... but I keep thinking there's got to be a "correction" sometime.  Am I the only one?

The only test notes that seem to draw any kind of excitement/appreciation are the G/R (& E/R) or $5.00 R/S or "330" notes...

I would have thought that since an external test/experimental note is a thing of the past, that they would eventually recover in value.   Altogether, they are scarcer than replacements.    

stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 02:36:42 pm »

dont forget the seller fee of 20%
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 11:11:08 pm »

Ya but still $850 the book is $900 for a normal note not a Radar! I think they are under valued

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 08:21:42 pm »

In my humble opinion, I think a double rare note like that is under valued when it sells like that.  Whoever won it did very well.  Eventually collectors will appreciate exactly how seldom notes like that come up to the block.  I've heard a lot of "bad press" about the commonality of R/S $2 (54/74) and some whispers about some amazing "rare trophy" notes coming up for auction.  I'll believe it when I see it.  

stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 11:27:22 pm »

we all wanted it but for a sweet deal

Login with username, password and session length