Author
Topic: 1986 $2.00 UNC $170.00 ?  (Read 5137 times)
preciousmetals
« on: November 17, 2006, 07:55:33 am »

Are the high end notes from 1986 $2.00 series really worth the big bucks Charlton say's they are? I know someone who has 10 of these AUK.  I think they are anyways.
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:08:37 am »

In my opinion the majority of the 1986 $2 Crow-Bouey and Thiessen-Crow AUx prefix notes are overpriced
in the catalogue and are selling at a significant discount to catalogue value on the open market (eBay, public
auction, dealers etc.).

A perfect example is the Crow-Bouey AUH which has been selling at shows and on eBay at 50% of catalogue.

This is one of many notes that should have shown a decrease in the last catalogue pricing based on trends.

Just my opinion of course  :)

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 05:58:32 pm »

At a recent show one dealer was selling them for $ 50
I forget the last letter but it was AU......something.
JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 06:17:36 pm »

How about AUJ Thiessen-Crow. Are they really worth $1,200 in EF? Are there really that few around?
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 12:41:53 pm »

Hey saw this one on ebay

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 12:42:40 pm by Archey80 »

CPMS Member 1564
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 12:55:15 pm »

I've lately sent many notes to dealers for appraisal,and have been less than happy with their offers,even when they agree with me on grade,notes in perfect UNC usually go for around book value and even more,anything less than perfect UNC is basically worth whatever you can get for it.

If you are getting book value for a note from a dealer than you must have an exceptionally rare (or high demand) note.  This has rarely happened for me and the only time it did was when I was in a trading situation with a 2 digit DF.  Most people accept the fact that the catalogue is a guide, and as such posts an estimated price that a very interested buyer might be willing to pay.  There are obvious exceptions to this rule which, as you intimate, involve exceptionally bright/crisp well centered UNC notes not seen by the dealer in some time.

Unfortunately, the $2 Birds of Crow/Bouey AU_ series have been popping up a lot lately.  Whenever notes seem to mysteriously stream into the dealer's bourse then there is suspicion of a found hoard, or some kind of "unlimited" supply and the price gets very flexible, demand goes down, and book eventually follows.

doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 04:29:50 pm »

And if a dealer was selling them at $50,he probably paid only $25 or less for them.

You must consider jr that a certified dealer has overhead expenses with shows, etc. Anyone else is fair game for a good discount on the sell side. Reverse holds true on the buy side.

Speaking strictly as a part-time collector & full-time investor, I do see the lunacy of treating this hobby as an investment avenue. Buy a note for $X, where it is only worth 1/2 $X the next day. Too bad I enjoy it so much LOL.

Maybe one day I shall learn the numismatic mantra: Look what I found. What's it worth. Note is sold.
As long as there are paper money addicts, we'll have sellers/dealers supplying us with our fix, at a value premium of course.

Enough being cynical, must go fondle my money now  :)

Login with username, password and session length