Author
Topic: What if ...  (Read 3930 times)
Art_1_ Paper
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:40:49 pm »

The Bank of Canada started printing hundreds of thousands of 1935, 1937, Devil's face, etc issued of bills just so the value of all the ones in people's collections plummets to face value?

Wouldn't that be a disaster? I have several Dominion of Canada notes with face values only $0.25 to $4 yet some are worth thousands a piece. Same for 1935 notes.
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:50:43 pm »

ludicrous thought
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:47:41 pm »

I agree, rubbish.  How can the Bank of Canada be bothered to produce old notes when the printers are busy cranking out new Ameros?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:15:50 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:57:02 pm »

The Bank of Canada started printing hundreds of thousands of 1935, 1937, Devil's face, etc issued of bills just so the value of all the ones in people's collections plummets to face value? Wouldn't that be a disaster?

That's like saying the original Mona Lisa would be worthless because starving artists started to reproduce Mona Lisa paintings....
Many antiques are reproduced, but that does not make the originals worthless....it just makes it harder for the buyer who can't tell the difference..

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 03:13:40 pm »

The Bank of Canada started printing hundreds of thousands of 1935, 1937, Devil's face, etc issued of bills just so the value of all the ones in people's collections plummets to face value?

Wouldn't that be a disaster? I have several Dominion of Canada notes with face values only $0.25 to $4 yet some are worth thousands a piece. Same for 1935 notes.
   I have thought about stuff like this before. Not on this exact topic, but the same concept would apply. I would actually think the price of the original note's would increase in value mainly because there would be more people who see these older style notes, which means more people would be interested in learning more about them or collecting them. Which would increase the demand, which would increase the value. Am I wrong?

harwil4u2
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 05:26:49 pm »

There is some rare notes/coins out there that have not been acounted for or have not yet shown up on the open market, but when times get tough they will show up. A few years ago most auctions had notes shows up that they auctioneer have never seen come up for sale before. Now you see that the notes/coins come up for sale as very scarce or one of so many known, this is bound to happen when people stumble or inherit there fathers or grandfathers collection and have no desire to continue to collecting.

This is what more likely would happen rather than the Bank of Canada reusing old printing plates.

Login with username, password and session length