Author
Topic: Is there any duties to be paid on Notes purchased from US  (Read 3249 times)
b168
« on: May 15, 2011, 07:46:09 pm »

I know you have to pay the taxes on the declared value but are there any additional monies, ie. duties,  to be paid on Notes purchased from the US and sent back to Canada.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:11:15 pm »

AFAICT, notes produced in the NAFTA zone (Canada, USA, Mexico) are duty free when importing to Canada, and are subject to PST/GST/HST only. 

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:35:50 pm »

You only have to pay taxes if customs gets a hold of your package and assesses taxes owing on it.  This rarely happens.  US sellers cannot collect Canadian taxes, so buying from the US is essentially tax-free.

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 07:17:37 am »

You only have to pay taxes if customs gets a hold of your package and assesses taxes owing on it.  This rarely happens.  US sellers cannot collect Canadian taxes, so buying from the US is essentially tax-free.

I have purchased numerous items from a select few US dealers and have never had to pay taxes (duty) on any occassion. The first time I purchased a note from a dealer I received the note inside a Birthday Card....Inside he wrote "happy belated birthday...here's a small gift to add to your collection"...  I can only assume it was done this way to avoid any duty should it have been opened...About a year later I got a note I bought from the same dealer and this time it was "Congratulations on your Graduation"
here's a gift for your collection...keep up the good work...
I wonder what the next card will say :)  Hopefully not one that my wife opens saying "Congratulations on the birth of your new baby girl....hope you enjoy adding it to your collection"  :-X

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
abyss
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 06:46:06 pm »

I wonder what the next card will say   Hopefully not one that my wife opens saying "Congratulations on the birth of your new baby girl....hope you enjoy adding it to your collection" 

Would it be any better to get one saying "Congratulations on your engagement, use this banknote for your divorce lawyer" :D

Login with username, password and session length