Author
Topic: Paul Wallis  (Read 5076 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: August 11, 2011, 02:41:39 pm »

It has recently been brought to my attention that Paul Wallis, the original founder of the Canadian Paper Money website, has passed away unexpectedly.

Paul created the Canadian Paper Money website, including these forums, over 10 years ago. Today, the main site, forums and wiki are a central resource for collectors of Canadian paper money. Paul was life member 85 of the Canadian Paper Money Society. Paul also had an extensive career in the digital imaging industry.

If you would like to offer your condolences, please post them here and they will be forwarded to Paul's family.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 02:46:50 pm »

I knew Paul from the early days of his original website and forum.  Those who knew him personally knew him as a very inelegant, witty, devoted man.  He will be deeply missed.  My heart goes out to his family.

God Bless.

Tom
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 09:45:21 pm »

I bought a $50 and a $100 Birds replacement note from Paul exactly a year ago today.  He struck me as quite an easy-going gentleman.  My condolences to his family.

It's hard to say whether the sudden passing of a loved one is any more or less difficult than having some time with them before they pass on.  I have been losing my father by inches for the past 13 years and it is heartbreaking to see him decline so very slowly and steadily.  It would appear that Paul did not suffer, so it is my hope that his family can at least get some solace from that.
 :(

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:45:14 pm »

I am shocked to hear about Paul's passing.  I too have known Paul when he started this forum. 

Paul was a first-rate individual and such gentle-man.  His passion for collecting, his knowledge and sharing of information, and his care for this hobby will be truly missed.   

My deepest condolences to his and his family in Ontario.   

Michael 

Smile from your heart.  ;D
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 08:59:18 pm »

I have never met Paul, but I am grateful for his efforts in establish the CPMF. This is truly a legacy that will be attributed to him.
Jared

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 03:17:21 pm »

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. He will be truly missed.

Scott
docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 04:53:10 pm »

Sorry to hear of Paul`s passing
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 06:03:35 pm »

It brings me great pleasure to announce that twoinvallarta has chosen to honour the memory of CPMF founder Paul Wallis by making a very generous donation of $500.  This donation will be used to fund a series of SNDB-related contests in Paul's memory. The precise details have yet to be worked out, but they will be announced in due course.

twoinvallarta encourages his friends and peers here on the forums to pitch in as well with donations of any amount to help prolong the Paul Wallis Memorial SNDB Contests and keep Paul's legacy alive by supporting the forum and the hobby.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 10:13:37 am »

I'm sorry to hear of Paul's passing.  I will remember his contributions to the collecting community and how he managed to bring us all together.

Dean

Login with username, password and session length