Author
Topic: One note for 2.2 Million Dollars!!! ???  (Read 5066 times)
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« on: April 30, 2007, 03:30:19 pm »

Seems a little crazy to me but who would spend 2,255,000 on one note! even if it is the only one!

http://currency.ha.com/common/info/press/default.php?ReleaseID=1279

CPMS Member 1564
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 03:39:13 pm »

someone with plenty of money
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 04:58:53 pm »

I knew it was a bunch but I wanted to treat myself :)
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 07:50:16 pm »

Hey Rachel

Mind telling us what your note is? I am sure we would all like to know

KC's Canadian Currency
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 07:51:50 pm »

RP,

$3000 was when the market was hot, now we will only pay $2500 (lol). Next year, only $2000.
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 08:05:10 pm »

The early Montgomery Confederate notes are like that too because everyone collecting confederates wants a complete collection and there are only a few to go around, so the prices of T1 to T4 are in the $40,000-$60,000 range for notes that in Canada would catalog at $1000 for comparable rarity. Then again, there are many more collectors after Confederate notes than after Canadian chartered notes. If there is so much nostalgia for the Civil War items, why not so much nostalgia for the banks that financed the building of Canada?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 08:09:11 pm »

In Canada, we don't collect money.  We collect immigrants.

And what exactly do you mean by that comment????????????????????

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 10:21:46 pm »

"Canada, which accepts an average of 240,000 immigrants a year, has the highest per-capita immigration rate among industrialized countries."

Boy you learn something everyday on the forum

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Don_D
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 12:12:17 am »

more like racism.
actuary6
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 01:35:56 pm »

???

If you're mind is not too closed, consider this.  Canada has a very low birth rate, and to keep the population from levelling off and possibly decreasing, large numbers of immigrants are allowed into the country.  Many immigrants these days are coming from nations that are not democratic and have cultures that bear no resemblance to North American culture.  Will many new collectors of Canadian coins and paper money arise from these immigrant people who, upon arriving here, are told that they should keep their own culture and not integrate into Canadian society?  And if many do, will they recognize the importance of Canadian heritage and the history of our financial institutions?  In other words, 50 years from now, will there be any one left to care about the money we have today?  Will the fact that private banks issued their own paper money become a myth among the masses?  Will the investment potential of old paper money be strong if it is just destined for museums?

Rachelsprivates, with all due respect, your post has upset me.  I don't share your beliefs and feel that they are way off topic and not suitable for these forums.

Immigrants are often (falsely) blamed for many things, but this is the first time I've heard the argument that they will be responsible for the decline of Canadian paper money 50 years from now.

Brad

Login with username, password and session length