Author
Topic: Ottawa  (Read 5114 times)
bc collect
« on: January 02, 2009, 01:43:45 pm »

I will be in Ottawa next week, for a few days, but with the busses still not running I might be hard pressed to go to the Currency Museum or check for notes at locaL dealers.
How many of the member live in Ottawa?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 02:12:00 pm »

I'm not from Ottawa, but if you have an opportunity, I always recommend that folks visit the Currency Museum while in town.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 06:26:52 pm »

I'm not from Ottawa, but if you have an opportunity, I always recommend that folks visit the Currency Museum while in town.
I live just about 2hrs east of ottawa, i have been to ottawa on a few occasions but never visited the currency museum. Is it really worth a trip to visit it?
gus5pin
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:40:14 pm »

Well I am right in Ottawa and if you don't stop in at the Currency Museum you miss out on something that is well worth seeing. I've been to the museum at least 5 times in the past few years. At one time there was a teller at the Bank of Canada and you could pick up bricks or bundles at any time but those days are long gone.

Sorry BC I work for the bus company (my bad!) and if you are visiting without a car its kinda rough right now. If you are here next week you may be ok by thend of the week and everything should be back to normal by then as the Labour Minister has ordered a vote of the last offer.

Denis

bc collect
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 07:59:26 pm »

<Maybe the buses will be running when I arrive mid week, or I could rent a car for a day or so.
Mind you winter driving is never fun, but I did live in Edmonton for a number of years and there I live now holds the 24 hour canadian snowfall record, 124 cm.  :o
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 08:05:22 pm by bc collect »
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:46:37 am »

I will be in Ottawa next week, for a few days, but with the buses still not running I might be hard pressed to go to the Currency Museum or check for notes at local dealers. How many of the member live in Ottawa?

I live in Ottawa but I'm not quite sure what you are inquiring about in your post. If you are staying downtown then the Currency Museum would be within walking distance. However, Ottawa's two coin shops (Ashbrook in the West and Universal in the South) are way out of town and Ashbrook has irregular opening hours --- always phone first. Universal tends to sell its better material on eBay but Ashbrook carries quite a large retail stock of decent Bank of Canada paper.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:49:54 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
bc collect
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 09:25:49 am »

I will be staying at a friends, the address is Sherwood drive, and since I have no clue on the relation of that to the Museum, just wanted some info.
Is the Museum open 7 days a week, what are the hours, and the the info on the coinshops helps too, thank you. :)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 09:54:47 am »

You can find out all you need to know about the Currency Museum at www.currencymuseum.ca.

Also, here's a link to Google Maps showing the route from Sherwood Dr. to the Bank of Canada at Bank St. and Sparks St.:
Google Maps

I'll leave it to one of the more local folks to provide info on the coin shops.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
bc collect
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 10:17:31 am »

When I go to the Museum, how much time should I allot?
A few hours or a whole day?
In Germany, when I looked at their museum a number of years ago, spent a couple of hours, but no photos were allowed inside.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 10:44:34 am »

After a lot of searching I finally found the thread I was looking for right where it belongs but in a place I didn't think to look.

I'm not sure if you have seen this but here is a link to some pictures and videos posted by forum member coinsplus from his trip to the museum. I really enjoyed seeing them.

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=8437.0

Gary_T
bc collect
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 03:24:07 pm »

Thank you everybody for all the info.  :)
Made it to Ottawa today, even with 2 flight delays due to the weather, what is up, is this winter.  ???
bc collect
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 08:05:29 pm »

Spent a few hours at the museum today, really enjoyed it.  :) :)
Did a bit of shopping after in downtown and got a few people interested in paper as I spent some one and two dollar notes, 54 issue and multi color to bird, all notes with face for book value.  ;) :D
bc collect
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 08:21:11 pm »

Well I made it back home, with a delay again, had to spent the night in Vancouver, because at home the airport was fogged in.
At least did get another visit with my brother out of it.  :)

Login with username, password and session length