Author
Topic: one and two dollar notes  (Read 4216 times)
bc collect
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:00:51 am »

It is interesting when you pull out one or two dollar notes and use them as payment to see what peoples reations are.
I hope to have some people interested in paper as I used those notes, a lot of the clerks in stores are to young to have seen one dollar bills.  ;)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:04:30 pm »

It is interesting when you pull out one or two dollar notes and use them as payment to see what peoples reations are.
I hope to have some people interested in paper as I used those notes, a lot of the clerks in stores are to young to have seen one dollar bills.  ;)
I get the same reaction when I spend 50 cent pieces and nickel dollars.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
woodguy62
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 12:14:43 pm »

"Neat", that was my reaction. Buddy introduced me to collecting a few years ago, and I was hooked. Only took me 40+ years to get introduced, exposure was the key.
Showed my teenagers some 1's and 2's. They undecidedly ask "are they real...hmmm"?
My parents on the other hand say "Oh...King George, I haven't seen one of these in years. That was a lot of money back then".
Exposure if good. The reactions you get should somewhat indicate weather people see the value in a dollar bill, intrinsic or monetary.
Me, I'll show people my bills but I don't think I'll spend any of them.
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 02:39:04 pm »

I kinda gave up spending old ,pmey, as most of the time it envokes the "fake" response and you have to battle not getting in trouble, let alone getting someone interested.
bc collect
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 07:55:50 pm »

I did not get any reaction what the bills were fake, more like,
I have never seen these, or I have not seen those in a long time.  ;)

A couple of stores I had the clerk say they would be fighting over them, so I said give me a five and gave them more ones and a two in return.  :)
All notes spend are lower quality ones, have the same prefix either in UNC or highter than I spend.
When passing out mod. 54 s, seam to get less reaction then, multi color ones.
Every note I spend was face for book value, but got a few people exceited, even young adults near 20 years old.  :) ;)

At one show two years ago a dealer sold me about $ 200 in one and two notes, for face, he had them from a collector who wanted to give them to a bank, they said NO.  ???
Found a number of asterix notes I did not have and also a PA.  :) :)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 05:28:44 pm »

At one show two years ago a dealer sold me about $ 200 in one and two notes, for face, he had them from a collector who wanted to give them to a bank, they said NO
He's exchanged collectible notes for face value?  Wow -- you obviously were at the right place at the right time. What luck!  I would love to have had such luck.  I hope you continue to patronize him.

I acquired a few 1954 $1 and $2 in the mid 1970's when they were being phased out by the multicoloured series while I worked at a car wash.  I used some of the low grade notes to give as tips, souvenirs, and even to buy better notes at shows later on. 

I was really surprised when my hair stylist recently showed me the two 1954 $1 and $2  notes I gave her as Christmas tips about 10 years ago.  She has kept them as tokens of good luck and now I understand why she always fits me in no matter how busy she is.

bc collect
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 05:33:24 pm »

Well he did get them at face and almost all of the notes were lower grade, so msot of them are just face and the other ones are maybe 3 to 4 times face.
But the best thing was getting notes I did not have in my collection.  :)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 05:55:34 pm »

You wrote that most of $1 and $2
.. are just face and the other ones are maybe 3 to 4 times face.
But the best thing was getting notes I did not have in my collection.
  I still think it was very nice of him to help you with your collection with notes that were clearly worth more than the notes you gave him.

EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 05:24:34 am »

LOL heard of this man who tried to pay with a $2 bill at a McDonald's for a Junior Chicken? They asked him if he had anything else and so he took out a 50. They did not have change. The man only had a 2 and a 50. They called the cops because they suspected a counterfeit bill. Cops arrive and ask why in the heck would anyone make a fake $2 bill? Neither the dumb clerk or the manager had ever seen a $2 bill. There stood the cops staring at the dumfounded McDonald employees. Our hero got himself a free Junion Chicken, with fries and a Coke :)

I recently used a 1986 $2 bill (not UNC of course) and the lady behind the counter took it (for 2 bucks) and said she'll keep it as a collection. I told her I have one that's blue, dated 1935 and that's worth $625. And that I also have the 25 cent bill. She was quite impressed lol.

Coming to think of it, that is how my collection started. I saw someone pay with a $1 bill, I was 10 back then and I exchanged it. My cousin's dad had some 2's of the kind (1974) and 1954 1's as well. Then I started making series. My collection got a boost when I opened an eBay account. It is now worth over $10K.

Login with username, password and session length