Author
Topic: Things like that puts me to tears  (Read 4655 times)
EyeTradeMoney
« on: February 15, 2009, 04:20:53 am »

... when someone has to sell his/her whole entire collection in a desperate mean to pay bills and meet life's ends.

If he was collecting with the intention of selling it all one day and net in a profit, okay fine. But it doesn't look like it. Looks like he put in years collecting and now has to liquidate it all, probably for sell than what he paid for.

Heck, I would never sell my collection. If I owed money to the bank and didn't own a home, I would just give the banks the finger and keep all my unsecured assets (all my collections) and go live with a relative until I found a job. I mean for what? The banks deceived you and tagged you with hidden fees that accounts for half of what you owe them (the other half in accumulated interests), you make your payments to have a good credit... so that you could borrow more in the future??

I have spent more than half of my life in collecting/trading (on and off). And I will not sell my collection unless it'd bring in life-changing money for something as big as the down payment for a new house after my 2nd born, or if I'm short on cash/financing for my kid's education/college or whatever. Some kind of equity-builder or investment whose return will stay with me till the day I die and onwards to my future generations, THAT's how much I love my collection. Sure, mine is worth 10 times more than his, but still... NOT giving it away to the mafia banks only so that you can borrow more in the future. My collection is history in the making... it is our heritage! Our country was born in 1867 with only 4 provinces. And I have the very first notes ever printed (Est. $1,100-2,200 a piece).

Click here to view the auction
(sorry I don't know how to hyperlink a text)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 12:08:57 pm by EyeTradeMoney »
multicolorama
  • Member since January 2007
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 07:10:54 am »

Hello. I think ive seen this set on The Shopping Channel before. I forget what item # it is, but ive seen it. If anyone has this channel, then tune into The Coin Show with Toronto collector Steven Bromberg on the final weekend of this month.

Just my thoughts, its that it was bought on The Shopping Channel and then trying to resell for profit.

Best Regards, Oli

JB-2007
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 07:55:30 am »

Hello. I think ive seen this set on The Shopping Channel before. I forget what item # it is, but ive seen it. If anyone has this channel, then tune into The Coin Show with Toronto collector Steven Bromberg on the final weekend of this month.

Just my thoughts, its that it was bought on The Shopping Channel and then trying to resell for profit.

Best Regards, Oli
I don't really see any spectacular note in there, looks all basic to me.
EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 12:08:04 pm »

What is "spectacular" ?
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 12:11:04 pm »

What is "spectacular" ?
I assume what is meant that there is nothing that is tough to find in this set.
All are basically easily available. But correct me if I'm wrong

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 12:19:24 pm »

What I don't understand is why he didn't try to sell some of the notes here on the forum.. since he is a member.
EyeTradeMoney
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 12:21:03 pm »

I assume what is meant that there is nothing that is tough to find in this set.
All are basically easily available. But correct me if I'm wrong

All the GEM UNC notes would be considered "hard to find". Well maybe not "hard" but still pricey.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 01:56:13 pm »

If there is a lesson here (besides getting over-attached to bank notes)
than it should be more about how to sell one's notes.

A) Scan notes to be auctioned, (crop and trim the scans so they're presentable and easy to view).  If you don't know how to scan them then learn how to photograph them correctly

B) Never photograph notes from a distance (esp if you don't know what the lens is for) capturing flash glare is a huge turn off to anyone who values the aesthetic of a nice Canadian bank note

C) List notes separately (not 6 at a time) and don't use "beautiful display album" and "for the serious collector" because you'll lose the "serious collector's" attention instantly :D

D) Show the serial number sides rather than the fronts

??? ::) ;D

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 02:02:37 pm »

Hear, hear!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length