Author
Topic: Type Collecting  (Read 4082 times)
Darkhorse
« on: September 29, 2009, 01:41:13 am »

Hello,
I'm new here as you might be able to tell from my post count.

I've been a long time coin collector, but I'm not really one any more because my job makes it completely redundant (let's just say I work for a certain company in California). Lately I've been buying a few Canadian banknotes, particularly from the '69-'79 series (I have a 1,2,5 and 10 in UNC). I like the pictures, they remind me of home, and getting $1 bills from my great grandma, and $2 bills for my allowance etc. I'm interested in the landscapes of the '54 series as well... maaaaybe some of the '37 series as well but I find allegorical themes kind of silly.

Now, let me be clear here, I'm not really interested in serial numbers, signatures, varieties etc etc. I'm just a "type collector" as they say in the coin world. I'm just interested in a nice pretty note, in nice pretty condition, without spending a whole lot. The problem is my lack of education in the whole thing, and I know I guess I should get a catalogue of some sort (I remember essentially memorizing the Charlton catalogue when I was 13 years old). But what should I look for in order to find more affordable notes? Right now I just browse eBay for the cheapest notes in UNC (yes I know there are different kinds of UNC but it's still all Greek to me right now). I'm just wondering if I'm spending more than I should.

Hopefully these questions aren't too burdensome... It's too bad the currency people at my job left before I started dabbling in the whole thing. I just came across this forum tonight and thought "Hey, I have questions!" I guess I'm still thinking like a coin collector - I know a good type coin is a coin of a certain date with a high mintage (ie an 1880 Morgan Dollar). To me I just see one date with a baffling variation.

I want to stay Canadian based with this currency stuff because I remember when I collected coins sometimes I'd stray and pick up something from a foreign country and eventually I'd think "Why did I get this?". I was thinking of doing a one-per-country type collection but, honestly, some countries put out such boring money that I wouldn't want to spend money on them. One exception to that seems to be Germany, I have a few Notgeld sets - I think they're neat. Cheap too. Maybe this will change though.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:59:27 am by Darkhorse »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 08:10:39 am »

Hello and welcome to the forum.
The catalogue by Charltons "Canadian Government Paper money" will have pictures that you may be able to look at and get a feel for what is out there but personally going to a good show that has a lot of Canadian banknote prescence is a great way to see notes close up as well as what prices are being asked for.
Some auction sites give another option to see notes and prices that are expected.
Good luck and welcome.
If you ever have questions there are plenty of well informed people on the forum that would be happy to help....

FRIEDSQUID

OH OH    .....Probably the best site to look at is the BANK OF CANADA'S WEBSITE
CHECK OUT THE CURRENCY MUSEUM.....IT DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THAT  :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Darkhorse
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:03:26 am »

Thanks.

I remember visiting the Currency museum on a sunny Ottawa summer day back in 1997. I got a specimen set there.
Darkhorse
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 12:16:57 pm »

I'm not interested in a great many notes. I already have the 1,2,5 and 10 of the 69-79 series. Next I think I'll try for the 1,2,5 and 10 for the '54 series before considering the 20,50 and 100 of the 69-79 series. I pick up a $1 centennial, and the bird 2, 5 and 10. But all of those seem easily obtainable and I'm not in any great rush to get them - nor am I in a great rush to complete this collection for that matter. I may pick up a couple Journey notes, and someone here was already kind enough to offer them at face.

My only goal is to pick up some pretty notes here and there (once again I'm considering world notes this morning, but only ones I think are aesthetically pleasing... and not too pricey).

There's always a world bank notes person at the trade shows down here. The next one I'm going to is in Baltimore in November.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 07:47:18 pm »

Hi there and welcome to the forum,

I started collecting just like you but while working at a car wash where I got to handle plenty of circulated notes.  First, I was into collecting coins (like my brother).  His collection vastly outshone mine, so I had to start collecting something else (1954's low denominations).  I didn't even know whether anyone else was collecting paper money and had no clue about Charlton (how I wish I knew).  The appeal of collecting came out of the fact that it cost me no more than face for whatever I put aside.  I did notice that some of the new 1973 Series had * (asterisks) beside their serial numbers, and I'm happy I put those (replacements) away.  I just wish I had the info I have now (& the Internet!)

I know you've stated you're not interested in anything special (at the moment) but I would suggest you do read up here on the forum and find out what you can get now for relatively cheap.   I'm saying this because I started collecting without ever intending to collect anything rare (like you) and slowly acquired a few tough to find notes (which eventually replaced all of my regular notes!) There are many notes that have been issued in the past year which are already rare, and may either be found in circulation, or by purchasing from members here in VF or better condition for a modest price.  It will be worth your while to do a little research. 

I have not found eBay to be that expensive (as a buyer) unless I've made the mistake of buying a note on blind faith (expecting what the buyer states to be true).  I got burned once when I bought a $2 Birds note which the seller stated was a circulation replacement but it was actually a sheet replacement cut to size.  You also have to be aware that many sellers have a loose concept of what is uncirculated, and are not always forthcoming in describing a note's flaws. 

You may wish to check out ebid (many good notes at less than eBay prices), your local coin stores or even flea markets.  I know of some CPMF members who acquired some excellent and rare notes (test or replacements) for very little mark up because they bought them in the states (where the sellers were unaware of the notes' rarity).  It would be a great investment for you to buy a used (1 or 2 yrs old) Charlton Canadian Paper Money Guide if your library doesn't have one.   If you leaf through it- you will likely be inspired on what to collect (signature series, Devil faces, etc).    I think it's also important to realize that there are many nice notes in Extra Fine (2 or 3 creases but otherwise crisp) or better.   This is especially true if you want to acquire some of the harder to find notes (later on).  Even if you're not interested in rarer notes, the info found in Charlton will definitely help you focus on how what to collect.

When you do consider making a purchase be sure to take a note out of it's holder and carefully hold it up to the light so the light bounces off the note's surface. That way you will be able to see the note's perfection (or imperfections) much easier, and discuss the price with the seller (who's usually more flexible than he'd like to be).

Good luck!

Darkhorse
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 02:12:55 am »

Thanks for the tips!
Here are my notes so far. The $2 is what really drew me into this. I had a really big grin when it arrived in the mail.

{http://formerairline.com/wp-content/gallery/random-stuff/1buck.jpg}

{http://formerairline.com/wp-content/gallery/random-stuff/2bucks.jpg}

{http://formerairline.com/wp-content/gallery/random-stuff/5bucks.jpg}

{http://formerairline.com/wp-content/gallery/random-stuff/10bucks.jpg}

And I have a photo (or more accurately scan) set of my notgeld here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/formerairline/sets/72157622491067342/
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 03:09:55 pm »

Welcome Darkhorse,
It is always a joy to meet new collectors and that keeps me enthusiastic in this hobby. Personally I still have to keep in mind that I have to pay my mortgage and other life essentials before spending on more banknotes. I inherited my Dad's modest collection but I officially started with the $2 Birds theme.
 :)
Best of luck collecting

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Raven
  • “Money IS the root of all evil.”
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 04:41:50 pm »

Darkhorse I like the name.

Fledgling specific number collector 666

PS. Hi P.D.  :-*

Raven

Login with username, password and session length