Author
Topic: How many people think the Bird/Journey series looks ugly?  (Read 10405 times)
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: March 30, 2008, 06:54:43 pm »

I personally don't like them much. I think the designs are too basic, (especially the backs) without enough artistic thought put into them like the older series, like the multi-coloured, 1935-1954 series.
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 09:42:56 pm »

I agree! Birds series (though i do like birds) very boring! The journey series, i still can't figure them out  ???
I miss the old designs. They should indeed have more scenery on our new notes.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 01:05:22 am »

Well it was a nice theme but the rendering of most of the birds were somewhat lacking (like more color and detail for realism). The 1988 $1000 note with the Grosbeak was the nicest of the series. That's why really got me steered into collecting some international notes with the bird theme. The field is quite broad and at times challenging.

For our Newbies I present my bird collection, I had this link posted before.
http://picasaweb.google.com/twoparroteyes/BirdsNoteCollection

Dei Gratia

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 08:07:32 am »

Yes, the Birds were the butt-ugliest notes since the 1969 $20 bill!

bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 02:41:48 pm »

I would have to strongly agree with Punky. I as well think the 1000 dollar note was by far the best of the set. I think that some of the best looking world notes are the ones with some of the exotic birds on them. How ever I do think that the majority of our bird series lack some artistic benefits. But it still didn't stop me from collecting them!!!!! But then again you can never have too many notes......

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 08:42:05 pm »

I would have to agree with venga50. This Canadian series is my least favourite because there is no nice design (my favourite series is the 1954)

Deehong
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 06:02:03 pm »

I like the 1973 series. I think the 1954 and 1986 series are too dull and the new series is simply a disaster.
StormThief24
  • Wiki Editor
  • That's a *DE replacement... If only it were mine..
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 08:31:01 pm »

I think that the backs of all the recent banknote series are okay, but the fronts are a different matter, especially the Birds series, because it looks like they left the front uncompleted, what with all those empty spaces on the top and bottom.

Back with new packaging, same great wiki editor!
gonkman
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 02:35:37 pm »

Sorry but the 1969 $20 is much nicer than the Birds $20.. Now that it BORING.

I think the birds series is worse than the new journey series.   The birds $2 note looks almost like CDN Tire money.. No Offence to the CDN tire money collectors.

Anything before the Multicolor Series = Good
Birds = Bad
Journey = I can live with I guess.

But hey... thats just my 2 cents. :)

Personal Favourite = 1975 $50 Bill.. Can't beat it.. Mounties in a Circle..
Can't get much More Canadian than that.. 

I would like a new series..  Beavers, Moose, Pike or Musky Fish..

Heck put a Guy in a Fishing Boat Hauling in a Big Pike.. Thats Canadian..

A beaver on a Dam..  A big Moose..

And Re-Issue the $1000 and put a the Scene where we burnt down the Whitehouse in the USA (Probably in a Drunken State)!  WOO HOO! :)

Missy
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 02:15:13 am »

And Re-Issue the $1000 and put a the Scene where we burnt down the Whitehouse in the USA (Probably in a Drunken State)!  WOO HOO!

We already did that...... ::)

.In 1814, during the War of 1812, the White House was set ablaze by British troops in retaliation for burning Upper Canada's Parliament Buildings in the Battle of York.
gonkman
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 09:41:23 am »

We already did that...... ::)

.In 1814, during the War of 1812, the White House was set ablaze by British troops in retaliation for burning Upper Canada's Parliament Buildings in the Battle of York.

Yes I know.. That's why I think it would make a perfect Back of a $1000 note.

Keep those Yankees in Check..

bc collect
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 02:30:46 pm »

BoC will not put another $ 1000 out there, they do not want people to have to muc cash, Goverment can not control that!
Like credit, bank accounts etc.
nova7415
  • Errors are the best as there are only 1 of a kind
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 06:14:58 pm »

Not every person will agree on the same thing ::). I am certain that there was much research and poll opinions taken prior to incorporating the scenes depicted on our current, and past currency. I am just curious to know who has the final say on authorizing the current vignettes ???.
numismateer
  • Paper Money is History! it's plastic now
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 02:33:17 pm »

I would like to disagree...

The bird series is no more boring than the 1954 mod issue.
They are both  plain and mono-chromatic.
if fact, the bird issue is probably a touch more interesting.

Doesn't really matter to me, that's what the country issued, so we collect them.
I personally don't collect canadian notes simply based on beauty.

Take a look at various world notes, some are nicer, but I think we stand in the top  20 or so.
Some countries have ugly old men  on them...now that's attractive!

I suppose the design is purposely kept basic to appear more serious.
Heck, the US thinks ours is play money just because of the various colours.
I believe the crazy spirograph designs of the multicolour issues were there for counterfeiting purposes.

whenever they change the currency design, people always complain about it until they get used to it.

Then when the design changes again, everyone talks about how classic the last issue was .
nomunny
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 08:06:08 pm »

I like the bird series better than the journey series, I know I'll probably be sorry later on but I just can't get too excited about collecting the journeys, the litho money doesn't have the feel, and the theme seems all over the place : too much going on on the backs.

Login with username, password and session length