Author
Topic: Rare 1954 Solids Coming Up for Auction in Hong Kong  (Read 14945 times)
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 08:52:30 am »

Thanks for the information Gary.  It is amazing that some modern era notes can remain out of the public eye for so long.  I suspect that there are other high denomination 1954 solid radars out there that may only change hands privately.  The $50 solid 7s that I own was in a collection for over 20 years before I came across it accidently while discussing paper money trade options.  I was able to trade for it privately and add it to my collection.

I stand corrected; I currently have 1 of 3 1954 $50 Solid Radars that are known to exist, for now  ;)

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 11:14:25 am »

The 1954 solid 1s finally arrived from Hong Kong this morning  ;D

Here is a scan of the $100 note.  It is GUnc except for the fact that it is a slightly off centre.  It has strong embossing, sharp corners and no signs of handling whatsover.  A totally original and pristine note.

I just got off the phone with Don Olmstead, who has run Olmstead Currency since 1967, and confirmed that this is the only 1954 $100 solid radar that he has ever heard of.

{http://www.davgro.com/images/CPMF/1954_$100_BJ1111111_Front.jpg}

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 12:48:17 pm »

Congratulations Arthur.
As I have stated in the past,it is nice to have this set "bank" in Canada where it belongs  ;)

That said,had someone the desire to buy my QM in original uncirculated condition,I'd have had the wherewith all to meet you in HK.
I hate sharing a hotel room!

Charlton, page 197:

"A survey of the sheet numbers of existing notes suggest that only about a third of the modest total printed were ever released for circulation.It is not surprising then that collectors have long found the Queen Mary $5. to be a VERY ELUSIVE NOTE.Those notes that have turned up are generally in the more attractive grades."
Red colour and bold is not from Charlton

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:52:31 pm by twoinvallarta »

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 09:42:25 pm »

Two lots of very desirable 1954 solid serial number notes are coming up for sale at Baldwin's auction in Hong Kong on August 28/29 (there is no indication whether or not the notes have been pressed). Here's the auction site. .....

I'm beginning to think that I should have kept this information secret and snagged them myself ..... lol!

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length