Author
Topic: 1 dollar USA error?  (Read 3690 times)
docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« on: November 09, 2009, 09:36:38 pm »

Is this an error
{http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs004.snc3/11162_201494495551_657440551_4355325_3514765_n.jpg}
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:05:29 pm »

First impressions would suggest no.

If that surprises you, here's why:
To the best of my knowledge, the specific federal reserve seal (in black) is applied in the same process as the four numbers in the corners. Thus, there should be no way to separate them.
In this case, the numbers in the corners are "2". Note also that the serial number starts with B. These two facts, ordinarily paired with the letter inside the black seal, identify which federal reserve bank issued the note. B-2 is assigned to New York, NY.
The letter inside the black seal appears to be "T" which never has been used on a federal reserve note, and should it, it would have no meaning whatsoever. I cannot read the text in the black seal, so I cannot say what it might be.
The black seal also appears to have a purple fuzz around it. This is not at all normal as banknote ink should never run.
Finally, the area where the black seal should be appears altered.

So in my opinion having judged the scan alone, this is a fabricated error, not an authentic error.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length