Author
Topic: Just a little information about whos fishing on the 72 $5 note  (Read 3030 times)
gradmaoldcash

You may correct me on this as things where a little fuzzy back then. I was living on Qudra Iland at the time. The picture is an oil painting that hangs in the Cambell River Liberary in the entrance hall. The person fishing is a First Nations man George Shikite and his Sons food fishing in a bay off of Quardra Iland I forget wich one. I have met George in the Hariot Bay bar in Quadra in fact He bought me a beer.
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 08:25:01 pm »

did he buy that beer with a 1972 fiver?
moneycow
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 09:03:22 pm »

I believe his name is Olie Chikite.  The Salmon seiner is the BCP 45 and it has been refurbished and made part of a museum in Campbell River.  In fact they brought the boat in and then finished the construction on the museum (the boat won't be leaving).  I have a calender with 12 different photos of Olie and the boat from a few years ago when the BCP 45 returned to Campbell river.  Big celebration.

George Hunter is the name of the photographer who took the original phot upon which the engraving for the $5 was based. (same guy who did the Sarnia $10).  I've got a neat story George told me about the RCMP $50 that I'll post in another area.  I'm sure he won't mind.

Craig

Login with username, password and session length