Author
Topic: Re: Misinterpreted post  (Read 5937 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:07:48 am »

Jeez, you guys are swarming this poor lady like vultures... ease off a bit, will you?

Diane, before you accept any offers, you should be aware that your note is quite valuable. Depending on the grade, it could be worth between $1,300 in terrible (they call this "good") shape, to $7,500 in average circulated shape ("very fine") to $20,000 and more in perfect shape ("uncirculated").

Beware of low-ball offers. If you feel that you would like an intermediary to assist in any transaction, whether it be to confirm fairness of the offer, or to act as an escrow (Wikipedia definition of escrow), please let me know. Although such a note would be a lovely addition to my collection, I have no intentions of chasing after it as any legitimate offer would be well outside my present budget.

If you would like any more information, please feel free to send me a PM or email. I will endeavour to respond promptly.

Hope that helps.

[edit]Post retracted[/edit]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:09:45 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:41:34 pm »

Jeez, you guys are swarming this poor lady like vultures... ease off a bit, will you?

I thought the point of someone placing a note or notes for sale in the TRADING POST was suppose to generate interest and the sale of a note.
I assume if people bombarded you with with inquires on your items up for auction you wouldn't be so concerned...would you?????

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 05:04:30 pm »

If you have any interest checking these out, please send a message in response to this posting and include your email address.
I will be happy to send you a copy of the inventory list and scans of the 1935 $50.00
Thanks,

She clearly states that she would be HAPPY to send a copy to who ever wants!! Then we are told to lay off by the forum administrator for asking for a copy???  Something doesn't add up here? Am I missing something or is this a little STRANGE to others as well.

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 05:24:43 pm »

Am I missing something or is this a little STRANGE to others as well.

I totally agree.  All we are asking for is the information that she is wanting to send out. As for the 1935 French $50....I wasn't interested in that anyways...I was curious to see what else she had available.

I can't figure this one out either ???

canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 05:28:54 pm »

She clearly states that she would be HAPPY to send a copy to who ever wants!! Then we are told to lay off by the forum administrator for asking for a copy???  Something doesn't add up here? Am I missing something or is this a little STRANGE to others as well.

Jeff, you should know by now that most CPMF members, are by nature an unscrupulous bunch, and will use every
opportunity to decieve or low-ball an inexperienced or naive seller of bank notes.  It is fortunate that there are
a few altruistic souls out there who will come to the rescue in the name of "truth, justice and the Canadian way" !!

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 05:30:48 pm »

Alright, alright... Ignore my initial post. I was trying to be helpful and ensure that the seller is aware of the value of their note before blindly selling it to someone who might be trying to get a better deal than one might ordinarily get from an informed seller.

I have also already publicly stated that I am NOT interested in purchasing this note as it exceeds my budget, regardless of what condition it's in. The seller can confirm that I have not made any offers to purchase the note, and I have no intention of doing so.

Perhaps instead of flooding this thread with requests for scans, etc, how about we just post the scan and list the notes here?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:38:47 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 05:45:51 pm »

Jeff, you should know by now that most CPMF members, are by nature an unscrupulous bunch, and will use every
opportunity to decieve or low-ball an inexperienced or naive seller of bank notes.

I think this is quite a bold statement and I wonder how you can make such a general comment. I personally asked for a list of notes available, also making no bid, comment or even suggestion as to what her 1935 $50 note would be worth.... or offered on it ...
Do you know for a fact that she has had low ball offers? or are you assuming?
Personally I think by saying "MOST CPMF members are by nature an unscrupulous bunch" do you include yourself in this category.
I thought this forum was a place to learn about the hobby and get up to date information....not to insult and degrade MOST FORUM MEMBERS.
Does anyone else take offense in this comment????
SQUID

canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 05:49:56 pm »

opportunity to decieve or low-ball an inexperienced or naive seller of bank notes.  It is fortunate that there are
a few altruistic souls out there who will come to the rescue in the name of "truth, justice and the Canadian way" !!

It was meant as sarcasm............I think most members see it as such.

Our faithful Administrator correctly labelled my comments as a "heavily sarcasm-laden post".

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Sarcasm is stating the opposite of an intended meaning especially in order to sneeringly, slyly, jest or mock a
person, situation or thing.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:59:37 pm by canada-banknotes »

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 06:28:59 pm »

Well said Polar bear.
SQUID

polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 06:33:00 pm »

Quote from Canada _Banknote

"Jeff, you should know by now that most CPMF members, are by nature an unscrupulous bunch, and will use every
opportunity to decieve or low-ball an inexperienced or naive seller of bank notes. "

That is not very nice Canada-banknote to say.   You said most people take it as sarcasm.  That is just plain hurtful.    Poor choice of words and very painful for the forum. 

ouch

Polarbear

bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 10:01:25 pm »

She is defiantly got some interest in her note one way or another!!!  (lol) (lol)

Sometimes or should I say most times it is very hard or almost impossible to post what your real thoughts or emotions are, as they can not see your expression or your tone of voice when one purpose is to come across with an edge of humor or sarcasm!

I'm almost positive that Brent was not meaning it in that fashion or was Arthur, Brent has retracted his post to save anyone else from bashing it,,  (lol) I was very happy to see that there was much care taken to ensure that she was not taken advantage of with the great note that she has, I know I would want the same attention if I was in her shoes.

After all I think it is a fairly close knit community here that we can all get worked up in such a quick fashion but at the end everyone will remain forum buddy's  (I HOPE)  (HA HA) I hope all agrees?

And Arthur we all know that you are the most unscrupulous of the whole works here!!  HA HA HA (JOKE) (JOKE)

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 04:05:06 am »

Wow- looks like I missed a busy day!

:P :)

Take care everyone- off into the books once again.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 03:17:25 pm »

I think this is quite a bold statement and I wonder how you can make such a general comment. I personally asked for a list of notes available, also making no bid, comment or even suggestion as to what her 1935 $50 note would be worth.... or offered on it ...

...Does anyone else take offense in this comment????
SQUID

I tot of dat for a teeny moment  :'( , I admit smoking Mama Jamacia's special spice but DEEDn'T INHALE!  :-X

It was meant as sarcasm............I think most members see it as such.

Der is da problem, most but da un-most members don get it, so I agree wit PolarBear mon.  ???

I usually take C-Bs comments seriously, he is a smart guy, but teeny little guy on my shoulder sez "No, C-B can not be serious and may be dat sourchasm tingy."
Den da other teeny guy sez, "Hmm, C-B does not joke very much so it might be serious.  I know C-B don like using smileys", very unprofessional when sezing an impotant comment.  ;D
So, I go to my shrink and I sez “Hey Doc mon, I learned dat I am unscrupless... what dat?”  ???
And he sez, "I know dat you have been two shades lower dan a full wit lately, but don believe everyting someone sez about you, tink happy tots, dat will be ten dollas mon."

Moral of da story here is dat da smileys are a special POSTING AIDE, use dem to avoid embarrassment  :-[, back-peddling, and unnecessary Shrink bills.  ;)

Many sorries if I offended myself....

In da words of da Blessed Bob,
"One Life, One Love,
Let's get together and we'll be all right."

:)

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon

Login with username, password and session length