Author
Topic: Looking for information regarding 1969 $20 notes.  (Read 3339 times)
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« on: March 17, 2008, 08:58:02 pm »

After having received a number of these notes recently, I noticed something that I have not noticed before.
The BC-50a Be/Ra 2 letter prefix note when looked at from the back is definitely more vibrant and defined in color where as
The BC-50b La/Bo 2 letter prefix note when looked at from the back is more washed out looking.

Since I only have 20 notes to compare to, it definitely appears to be signature related.  (According to Charltons cat. only CBN printed the note).

I would like to do a little more research on this and was wondering if anyone has any of the above notes if they can send me the prefix/serial #, the signatures, and if their note appears to be similar to the top or the bottom photo that is attached.  Preferably notes that are in Unc or AUNC so that I can rule out notes that have been heavily circulated causing some fading or discoloration.
Pictures or scans would be helpful if possible.
Also anyone with any other information about this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

FRIEDSQUID

[attachment deleted by admin]

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:16:54 pm »

Well, we know that the printers were playing with tints and colouring. Apparently the original tints were a bit too flamboyant or something, so they had to dull it down a bit. Compare early notes to late notes for just about any denomination. There is a start contrast between notes of the $1, $2 and $100 denominations, and I don't doubt that the $20 and $50 were affected as well. I don't recall ever noticing a difference in the $5 or $10, but it is certainly possible.

I think what you're seeing is exactly this: An adjustment in the tint. If someone is ambitious, they could endeavour to research where the change in tints occurred, similar to what we know for the BC and BP $2s. It would require a lot of notes to be looked at, and for the researcher's sake, I hope it was a clean change where they went from one tint to another, and not a gradual or scattered change.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:24:04 pm »

Well, we know that the printers were playing with tints and colouring.

Is this something that is common knowledge, or information that has actually been written up at one time.  Since I haven't been in the hobby that long, I never knew that.  I did take a look at the BOC currency collection and noticed that there are tint changes yet no information pertaining to it.
Thanks

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:34:42 pm »

I guess I got a bit too presumptuous... The Charlton book currently lists the BC and BP modified tint vs. original tint issue. Based on my own observations while digging through dealers' piles of notes, I assumed that most other collectors would have at least noticed the change in colouring mid-way through the series. It is most evident on the $1, $2 and $100 series, and I am fairly sure that the $20 and $50 notes are also affected. I don't recall any tint changes on the $5 and $10, but I could be wrong.

I am not personally aware of any printed information available about this matter, which is one of the reasons why I suggested that it would be a fine research project for an ambitious collector. Just remember to submit your final article to the CPMS newsletter so that you get the credit and praise owed to you :-)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length