Author
Topic: misprint evaluation  (Read 5917 times)
tugwood
« on: March 02, 2014, 10:32:05 pm »

Hello:  as you can see i have a $20 bill with errors on the front and back. It was from a bank machine and seems to be in brand new crisp condition.  i would be interested in selling this set which includes the two bills with serial numbers bellow and above the misprint. i am not a collector and this is the first time I have made these available for viewing. They were placed in an envelope as soon as i got them home a few years ago and were forgot about.  Any help with information on cause and worth would be appreciated.  Thank you.

{http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6977/phax.jpg:http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/6977/phax.th.jpg} {http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4987/wo4n.jpg:http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4987/wo4n.th.jpg}
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:46:37 pm by BWJM »
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 05:41:48 pm »

Amazing notes! They are very interesting. Catalog puts the value on the middle note at $400+ for an inverted serial number, looks like the other notes are out of register printing at a value of $150 plus. The one note with both could be worth $600+.

You have a few options:

Get 15 posts here and post them for sale in the B/S/T section.

Find a trustworthy local dealer and let them make an offer.

Send them for auction. There are three big auctioneers in Canada - Geoffrey Bell, Charles Moore and The Canadian Numismatic Company. The last one is doing the auction for the big national convention in July this year.

Visit a local club and put them up for auction.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:47:13 pm by BWJM »

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 04:06:48 pm »

The middle note has an inverted design error on the face.  That would make it worth THOUSANDS.  These kinds of errors are super-rare on Canadian notes.  And the inverted serial number on the back just firms up the value that much more.

No hay banda  
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 04:27:39 pm »

Yeah, just found it in the catalog. Page 423, E27-iv Inverted intaglio printing on face(serial numbers also inverted) $2750+

Nice find!

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 06:20:49 pm »

The serial number on the example of this type of this error in Charlton's is EVY2180764...could the original poster's note have come from the same sheet??  I am by no means a wizard on plate / position numbers like others on this forum!

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 09:05:09 pm »

The serial number on the example of this type of this error in Charlton's is EVY2180764...could the original poster's note have come from the same sheet??  I am by no means a wizard on plate / position numbers like others on this forum!

I would think that the two notes (the one shown above and the one pictured in Charlton) came from the same sheet.  They are the same prefix and have nearly the same last 3 digits (264 and 764).  This type of error just does not happen again and again.

Unfortunately, I am not an expert on the Birds series notes.  Numerous papers by Don Roebuck were published about the series, and I'm sure they would be of some help in figuring out position number and serial number layouts, though I would advise caution as printing practices were changing toward the end of the series.  We know the start of the series used some predictable patterns, and sheets of 40 notes were sold to the public with a skip interval of 500.  But the Birds $20 note was the last denomination to be succeeded by the Journey series, and we know the printing company (CBN) went to a 45/on skip-8000 format.  Outdated information carried into the Journey series... insert note ranges of 45,000 notes were shown to be irreconcilable with the numbering practices that were uncovered.  So when I look at insert note ranges of the late Bird series and see ranges of 18,000 and 36,000 notes (or multiples thereof), and then I look at these two error notes that are 280,000 numbers apart but apparently from the same sheet... and I say "Hmmmmmmmmm... something does not fit here."  It is very possible that CBN was using a split layout in the sense that notes across a row were skip-numbered by 500, but skip intervals down the columns were much larger.  It could be another case of mini reams and mega-sequences!  Even researchers get very quiet when they hear those words tossed about!  :D

So anyhow, I think that this error type is priced conservatively in Charlton.  I think a dealer would know this and would pay the $2750 for this note without much hesitation!

No hay banda  
tugwood
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 05:11:02 pm »

Many thanks for the well educated opinions  and research you have provided.  This is exciting news for me.  I am undecided on my course of action at this time.   :-\
tugwood
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:23:01 pm »

Somehow the third picture showing the backs of the notes with the one notes serial numbers printed inverted and showing the three bills with consecutive numbers has been removed. I would be happy to provide anyone with the full set of pictures on request. 

Login with username, password and session length