Author
Topic: 1935 $20 BC-9b English, Small Seal BCS Fine 15 Princess Elizabeth  (Read 5533 times)
tripoli

What is a reasonable expectation for the value of this note?  I've noticed on ebay, dealers seem to be asking double the Charlton catalogue value for this note. 
Any comments?  I know it's a desirable note because it features our future Queen.

alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 06:29:30 pm »

Perhaps you have seen, for the double-priced catalogue listings, the French version of these notes?

tripoli
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 06:41:55 pm »

HI Alvin, I was very careful to reference the same BC-9b catalogue number, and not the French version BC-10.  For example, the 2014 Charlton lists this bill at $800 in Fine, while I see an ebay auction for a PMG 15 asking $1500, and the ebay example is much more soiled than my BCS 15.  That's why I'm a bit curious of the actual value of the note.   I know we see lots of auctions on ebay asking high prices, but actual transactions occur at somewhat lower values.
therealco1986
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 09:58:46 pm »

I notice a lot of notes with starting bids that are far outside their realm of the Charlton guidelines.  Some more rare than others.  Maybe the rarer notes could potentially yield a higher price (the 1935 $20 would likely be one of these).  But, just because people are asking high (buy it now or really high starting bid), doesn't necessarily mean people are paying that for them?  Specially when it comes to the lower end of the spectrum (ie a note graded 15 from PMG).  On that note, I'd prefer a 15 grade from BCS than PMG any day from what I've seen around!

Hope this was insightful.  Just my two cents.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:55:24 pm »

I noticed that BCS did not give your note the "ORIGINAL" designation...which I was under the impression that regardless of grade an original note would always get this designation..please correct me if wrong...email mail me and I can probably tell you why....
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:57:59 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 11:27:34 pm »

Take the starting prices you see on eBay with a grain of salt the size of Mount Rushmore.  The people listing items at double catalogue or higher are not serious about selling.

When last I heard, BCS does not give out the "original" designation for notes under VF.  Actually, on their website, they say a note has to be at least EF to be eligible, but I guess that any note that really gives the impression of originality is eligible, regardless of grade.  The likelihood of a note demonstrating these qualities gets exponentially smaller with decreasing technical grade...  But that's just one more reason I don't bother recommending third party grading for circulated notes.  Even if a note seems original, it might not be called "original", and then buyers become suspicious.  And there are plenty of buyers looking for low-grade "original" problem-free notes.  ;) 

Someone told me years ago that 90% of all 1935 series notes on the market at any time are pressed/cleaned or altered in some way.  :(

No hay banda  
tripoli
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 11:43:38 am »

thanks for your comments, guys.  Much appreciated.

Dan
tripoli
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 03:38:18 pm »

Just to follow up, I ending up selling this note for $800 cash to a local dealer here in Vancouver.....It was a nice note for the grade compared to others I've seen on ebay, and the owner was very happy with the price and not having to share any  with ebay.

Login with username, password and session length