Author
Topic: 1954 $2 *A/G 0380415  (Read 5842 times)
Tanthalas17
« on: April 11, 2014, 01:10:00 am »

Hi,

I recently purchased this note for a reasonable deal. I am slightly confused with the Charlton price guide. It states that an *A/G below 0400000 is worth AU=225, UNC=450, CHUNC=550, GUNC=675. Am I reading this wrong? The note I just purchase is below 0400000 is it not? The *A/G above 3200000 appears to be worth at most 90$ UNC....

The only reason I ask is that I have seen on a few other websites selling the *A/G notes but listing there 3200000+ notes at 350$+....

-Chris
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 01:48:01 pm »

Hi,

I recently purchased this note for a reasonable deal. I am slightly confused with the Charlton price guide. It states that an *A/G below 0400000 is worth AU=225, UNC=450, CHUNC=550, GUNC=675. Am I reading this wrong? The note I just purchase is below 0400000 is it not? The *A/G above 3200000 appears to be worth at most 90$ UNC....

The only reason I ask is that I have seen on a few other websites selling the *A/G notes but listing there 3200000+ notes at 350$+....

-Chris
The info. in charlton is correct. There are two sheet ranges for *A/G: 0320000-0400000 (80,000 notes) and 3200129-3597538* (+/- 400,000 notes). The *A/G below 0.4M is a very scarce range, there are many around when compared to those Above 3.2M. If you see on other websites *A/Gs above 3.2M listed at $350... they are trying to rip you off and hoping that buyers with little collecting experience fall for it. It is very sad! Its the same for example when a seller tries selling a $2 AUH for $10,000. Yes it think its a reasonable price if its signed Thiessen-Crow but often they are signed Crow-Bouey and the $10,000 note is only worth $25.
Tanthalas17
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 04:08:30 pm »

Thanks for the reply! I am contemplating have it graded and then re-sell :D

-Chris
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 04:28:56 pm »

You know, I always see that accusation about sellers trying to rip off buyers as though buyers are all stupid.  But when asterisk notes are put up for sale for a minimum start price, I regularly see bidders fighting tooth and nail and paying double catalogue or more for Uncirculated *B/B notes while passing over much scarcer material.  It would seem to me that the average collector doesn't know the difference between different prefixes, or simply does not care.  Buyers know what they want to pay, regardless of what the catalogue tells them (if they own a copy or not).  If buyers are not following the catalogue pricing, why should sellers have to?  Is a seller charging $40 for an Uncirculated *B/B note trying to rip someone off?  When a seller puts up an *A/A note that books $3 in circulated condition and it sells for $20, is the seller supposed to tell the high bidder he's paying too much?

Maybe nobody cares that there are two different ranges of *A/G notes.  It's all the same prefix, so might as well buy the common one because it's cheaper.  Maybe the *A/G notes over 3200000 sell for more than those under 0400000 these days because buyers are all fighting over the cheaper notes.  :D

No hay banda  
Tanthalas17
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:53:21 pm »

Mmars: True - notes are only going to be worth what people are willing to pay but scarce/rare notes appear to hold better value then the more common notes. I was told by most dealers to focus on stuff that is a bit more rare because you will gain more value from it in the long run....

-Chris
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 05:57:26 pm »

Weeeeeeeeeellllll, there is a general correlation between rarity and value, meaning the less common something is, the higher its value will be.  The problem is that most stuff is simply not rare, and there is no guarantee that anything that is perceived to be in short supply today will ever become worth a lot more.  Some "rare" notes have not only not gone up in value in the past 20 years, they have actually gone down in value, and by "value", I mean what you can expect to get for them, not what the catalogue tells you they are worth.  Asterisk notes from the 1954 series had their day in the sun.  There was a time about 15 years ago when different asterisk prefixes did not have different values.  They were all treated as pretty much the same and only classified by the signatures on them.  Then someone got the idea to track different prefixes and see what the highest and lowest serial numbers were for each prefixes.  Lo and behold, it became clear that some prefixes were printed in smaller numbers, and that created an instant market in which every prefix had its own value.  Naturally, the prices went up too quickly and killed interest by collectors.  People who were used to paying $20 per note were not enthusiastic about suddenly facing a cost of $500 per note for stuff like *N/Y and *D/O.  The only people who were interested were newbies and speculators, and like I said, the market went up too quickly, meaning lots of people bailed out of the market, and reception for these $500 notes has been absolutely frigid to the point that they are hard to sell at any price if they are not locked in a plastic tomb with a TPG grade of MS-65 or above.

Some notes are historically popular and retain their value better despite not being rare.  I would dare say there are more 1935 series $25 notes in private hands than *A/G notes, but the *A/G note catalogues $450 in Unc while the 1935 series $25 note will cost you five figures in the same grade.  So don't look at rarity as the only factor to motivate you to buy a note.  If anything, rarity is something of a trap.  Anyone selling a 1954 series Beattie-Coyne asterisk note will be quick to point out these notes were printed in small numbers, making them "rare", but the value of these notes has not gone up for a very long time.  They are virtually unsalable at the moment.

The only Rarity that matters these days is a white unicorn pony...

{http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/9729/rarity.gif}

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:09:02 pm »

The only Rarity that matters these days is a white unicorn pony...

I'm not sure about this...I saw one last Friday night and a herd of them two weeks ago...could just be more common in my neck of the woods  :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 06:48:42 pm »

I'm not sure about this...I saw one last Friday night and a herd of them two weeks ago...could just be more common in my neck of the woods  :)

Wow Fred, I didn't think you were a Brony.  ???

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length