Author
Topic: BC-67c?  (Read 6922 times)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« on: August 27, 2014, 04:18:38 pm »

What are the catalogue hikes on the withdrawn M/C Journey Fives? For those who have the GPM27 -could you provide the C UNC price?
HAE:
HAF:
HAG:
HAH:
HAJ:
HAK:
HAL:

I would expect big variations now that more info is out.

Thanks in advance!
W2W

Dr.Bill
  • CPMS Member 1520
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 05:56:18 pm »

What are the catalogue hikes on the withdrawn M/C Journey Fives? For those who have the GPM27 -could you provide the C UNC price?
HAE: $175
HAF:  $9
HAG: $9
HAH:  $30
HAJ:  $9
HAK: $9
HAL:  $25

Thanks in advance!
W2W

kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:27:29 pm »

HAE: $175
HAF:  $9
HAG: $9
HAH:  $30
HAJ:  $9
HAK: $9
HAL:  $25

Thanks in advance!
W2W

For the HAE and may be HAH & HAL, I don`t know if there is any C. Unc has ever surfaced.  If not, expect further adjustments &/or hikes in the next catalogue.  I understand circulated HAE have been going for the price of G. Unc in this catalogue.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:10:40 am »

I have seen Fine HAF, HAG & HAK go for $9.
If you could buy 1 HAL for less than $40 (last summer the one time a few listed on eBay) it was like you won the lotto!  :-D
IMO: those estimates seem well off the mark/dated.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 04:59:10 pm »

These prices are dealer buy prices, not what the notes are worth.  Just ask yourself, would you really expect to see dealer members of the pricing panel selling these notes for the given prices?  I think not.  I'll bet you they would gladly pay you full catalogue for these notes, making themselves seem generous while they try to build up any kind of inventory.  Let's face it, if any pricing panel members had a good supply of any of these notes, the catalogue prices would be much higher.  But keeping catalogue prices low at this time helps to throw some ice water on the market.  Nobody knows for certain what these notes should be worth, so it's also a precautionary first listing we're seeing.  People who are holding onto bundles or entire bricks of these notes are going to have to wait another whole year to get serious money, if any such people are out there, and if they can't wait, well, guess who will end up with those notes?  That's right, the dealers.  It's still early, anything could happen, and the last thing the Canadian note market needs is more bad news after so many kinds of notes have seen their value rise and fall over the last few years.

No hay banda  
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 10:45:37 am »

mmars, you have made some serious allegations against identifiable people.  I believe that you should either be providing some evidence of your allegations, or revise your comments.  In the interests of not exacerbating the situation, I would recommend the latter.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
t-spoon64
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 08:05:05 pm »

Really?  'cause I don't see anything wrong with what he has said.  I see it as his opinion.  Who has he specifically called out?  It is not far fetched to believe that someone would take advantage of their position or power for their gain.  Happens all the time.  Probably even on this forum. 
cashcow
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 10:07:30 pm »

I have to agree with Mmars and I would hope that his views can be aired without admin censorship. It seems to me it's always a matter of what people are willing to pay, and catalogue prices mean little at times (esp with inserts) . I would gladly pay the quoted catalogue prices ($175 for C UNC M/C HAE I would crack open the champagne for that price). Its wonderful to see that the SNDB has no bearing on the catalogue (which I think is bizarre!) Anyone out there willing to sell me any M/C at the current catalogue prices please PM me. 
Bob
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 06:43:15 pm »

To those who have concerns about Charlton catalogue pricing:

I wrote the text for the catalogue originally, and I have been responsible for additions and pricing from the 11th edition to the present time.
I have always tried to move cautiously when the market is still deciding values, as for the last Journey $5s. 
Of course I was fully aware of the reported populations on the data base.
It is my conviction that it is unhealthy for the hobby to feed speculative frenzy.
It would be injurious to put in hyped-up prices before we have a really good handle on what's out there, only to have them go into a death spiral next edition if large numbers of unreported notes come on the market.
I believe it is better to let them find their own reasonable price level over time.

The panel consists of knowledgeable volunteers who donate their time and expertise, and their work comes to me in written form.
I do my best to pull out a consensus for each price from all data received.

The pricing panel do not meet in a sinister conclave to decide how best to manipulate and defraud.
How does the hobby stand to benefit when volunteers that make it work are characterized as is being done on this forum?
Who would like to step up to replace them, with a reward system like that?
Give them some respect, guys!
If you want my job, get your resume in.  I have no problem with that because I am fed up and then some.  The End.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:42:57 pm »

It is unfortunate that we cannot have a civilized conversation on this subject.

No hay banda  
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 09:15:19 pm »

It is unfortunate that we cannot have a civilized conversation on this subject.

It's been a couple of weeks since anyone has commented on this so maybe I can restart the conversation in a civilized tone.

I would have expected the prices for these notes to be higher than they are in the newest catalogue.  The reason being that we have more info than before.  The fact that the prices aren't higher though doesn't bug me.  The catalogue and its values are only supposed to be a guide to give an idea what notes are worth.  The actual amount you will get will vary.  Its not like if you try to sell a C. Unc HAE for example that you have to sell it for 175$.  You can attempt to sell it for as much as you want (though an outrageous price won't bring any buyers  ;)).

It could be argued that people won't pay more than these book values when they see them for these notes but that's very unlikely.  Based on the comments on this thread and the prices for these notes on ebay and in other places, I doubt very much that anyone (or perhaps only a very few) would sell these notes for these book values.  That being said people looking for these notes and expecting to buy them for book value, I'm sorry to say but I'm almost positive they will be having a very tough time doing so (the exception being they by chance find one in circulation and in their desired condition).  People will see what the actual selling prices for these notes are in the market place and will either buy them for those prices or decide to wait.

In all honesty, the prices are pretty conservative and I don't blame the pricing panel for doing them.  Setting a very high price and then having to drop it significantly years later is never a good thing.  With the way I see it, I expect the price to increase again in next year's edition, provided that the prices for these notes on the market are still as they are now.

Login with username, password and session length