Author
Topic: $5.00 polymer M-C EF-45  (Read 6289 times)
bricker
« on: September 09, 2014, 01:43:41 pm »

BC-69a, printed 2013, HBG-3319376 29/29 M-C signatures graded EF-45 by BCS.

Apparently at the RCNA convention this summer a rep from RCM saw one at the PM Coins table and said these are not supposed to be in circ, they do not exist   ???

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 05:57:02 pm »

Apparently at the RCNA convention this summer a rep from RCM saw one at the PM Coins table and said these are not supposed to be in circ, they do not exist   ???

I didn't know representatives from the Royal Canadian Mint could be authoritative on the release and circulation of printed money.  Maybe someone should get in contact with Ottawa mayor Jim Watson for his take on the matter?

No hay banda  
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:13:38 pm »

Apparently at the RCNA convention this summer a rep from RCM saw one at the PM Coins table and said these are not supposed to be in circ, they do not exist   ???

Very interesting to say the least.  This could be in fact true and this rep from the RCM saying this would probably be the closest thing to having someone from the BoC saying that they aren't supposed to be in circulation.   :D

That is, if it is true that these notes were not intended for circulation and I have a feeling we won't be getting any official answer on this, at least from what I can see.  >:(

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:43:33 am »

Apparently at the RCNA convention this summer a rep from RCM saw one at the PM Coins table and said these are not supposed to be in circ, they do not exist   ???

I love how facts can get twisted around.  This has nothing to do with the Royal Canadian Mint.

I was there in person with the dealer in question and the "RCM rep" who was actually a Bank of Canada employee.  While I won't name said employee as I believe their comments were intended to be unofficial and personal in nature, I will say that this employee had heard of the Macklem/Carney $5s and was under the impression that none had been intentionally released into general circulation.  However, they did acknowledge that it may have been possible for some to have inadvertently reached the public given their initial distribution to cash handling device manufacturers and no strict instructions on what to do with the notes afterward (if I recall correctly).

Bottom line: Macklem/Carney HBG $5 notes most certainly do exist, as has been confirmed by the Bank of Canada through official channels.  The changeovers are posted in the SNDB and the latest Charlton catalogue... No secrets there.  Of that range of notes, only a smaller subrange has been observed in circulation, again as shown in the SNDB.  They're out there.  They're legitimate, normal notes.  Have fun finding yours!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:52:37 pm »

Bottom line: Macklem/Carney HBG $5 notes most certainly do exist, as has been confirmed by the Bank of Canada through official channels.  The changeovers are posted in the SNDB and the latest Charlton catalogue... No secrets there.  Of that range of notes, only a smaller subrange has been observed in circulation, again as shown in the SNDB.  They're out there.  They're legitimate, normal notes.  Have fun finding yours!

I don't think this thread was started to suggest that HBG M/C notes didn't exist.  I think the original poster just found it funny that someone from the BoC would say they don't exist.  I would find it funny too especially if I had found one of those elusive notes myself in circulation  :D

That being said I still have not found one (no surprise) but like you said BWJM "They're out there" and I hope to get lucky soon!  :)

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:30:24 pm »

I have to wonder which note(s) will end up in the National Currency Collection IF no HBG notes under 3200000 were ever made public.  If they want to hide behind the story that polymer Macklem-Carney notes were never *intentionally* released to circulation, it would be quite ironic for any of these notes to make it into the collection.

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length