Author
Topic: Macpuffin dollar  (Read 8939 times)
stoneswriter
« on: February 01, 2009, 01:56:17 pm »

Hi there,

I know that this is not a paper note, but I have 3 identical coins in their original plastic packages that are MacPuffin Dollars from the Cape Breton Tourist Association.  They're from 1983, and I think they were part of a series or something...these ones all have the International Gathering of the Clans on the reverse.  I just can't find much about them online, and am wondering if anyone happens to have some info?  Thanks,

stones
Newfie Nightmare
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Forum Moderators
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 11:53:47 am »

As with many things as far as value goes, the value for these would depend on what a purchaser is willing to pay. 
As far as the specific 'trade' dollars (I believe that is what they are called) that you have from Cape Breton, I believe they were printed for a number of consecitive years (I have a couple from 1990), and usually sold at tourist information booths for a dollar or two.  Many communitys do this on special occasions, or yearly as a form of promiting tourism and probably for revune.  I have seen some 'trade' dollars sell for 5 or 10 dollars, (if never removed from package), but have never seen any sort of catalog or price guide, so there does not appear to me a very big collectors market.  I myself have picked up a bunch of these dated either 1977, or 1982, as they are often cheep, and are birth years for myself, and my wife.

hope this helps some, but please note that none of this is guarenteed, just bits and pieces of info I've picked up over the years.
stoneswriter
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 07:31:54 pm »

Thanks very much for the input!  I'll see if I can get a scan going here...

Login with username, password and session length