Author
Topic: Cutting out graded notes  (Read 5536 times)
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« on: September 25, 2006, 11:27:15 pm »

As mentioned in a previous thread I recently bought 3 Third Party Graded Notes. If you have decided to buy TPGN ( Third Party Graded Notes ) *Can I coin this new Term* ;D

Would you keep them in the holder if you were keeping the notes for your personal collection?

Personally I wanted the notes out of the holders. I cut them out and kept the holder with all the info on it. I expect there will be people that would not do that. I considered not doing it.

First, you can't check the notes grade in the holder. Not properly anyways. It's not possible in my opinion.

Second, I want to enjoy the note, to be able to grade and smell it. Yes smell it ::)

Thoughts?

I already had a very brief mention of this with another member. His first thoughts were not too cut it out. But that might be changin'
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 11:38:54 pm by buxvet »
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 12:03:47 am »

Dealers will always tend to favour certified notes as certification makes life much easier for them. They don't have to commit themselves on the issue of grading and they are not ethically obliged to mention any "problems" that are not explicitly mentioned by the certification service (pressing, trimming, etc.). Dealers will probably only cut a note out of a holder if they feel it has been undergraded.

Investors & speculators will always favour certified notes because they want to be able to sell their notes quickly and easily when the time comes. Investors and speculators will probably only cut a note out of a holder if they feel it has been undergraded.

Collectors, as noted above, may decide to cut their notes out of their holders for reasons of personal enjoyment, for display purposes, or to verify/dispute the assigned grade.

One good thing about certified notes (as opposed to certified coins) is that since most notes have a serial number then even after a note has been cut out it can still be "tied" to the original certification holder without any fear that the note may have been "switched".

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 03:59:51 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 11:28:07 am »

...... Personally I wanted the notes out of the holders. I cut them out and kept the holder with all the info on it ........ First, you can't check the note's grade in the holder. Not properly anyways. It's not possible in my opinion. Second, I want to enjoy the note, to be able to grade and smell it. Yes, smell it ::)

These are profound comments. Suppose a note had been washed with chemicals and had acquired that terrible "chemical smell" that we all hate so much? If it should ever get locked up in a certified holder in that smelly state, and if no mention of the smell was made on the certificate, then who knows what damage might be caused by storing the note in that confined plastic environment for many years ... ?

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 01:13:19 pm »

Have not had to deal with this yet, but I lean towards what you do Buxvet. Cut it out of holder and keep holder/info on it separate.

From what I've learned from others on here about EPQ, I myself would not be concerned with processing if the holder has the EPQ added.

PMG is just too big with millions(?) in sales. Their reputation is their lifeblood. Why chance that !
Canadian market is peanuts vs. US numismatics.

JMHO
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 04:17:38 pm »

From what I've learned from others on here about EPQ, I myself would not be concerned with processing if the holder has the EPQ added.
Doug62 has hit the nail on the head! If the PMG holder says "EPQ" then you can rest assured that the note is completely original in the sense that it hasn't been washed, pressed, ironed, etc. However, I have seen PMG "EPQ" circulated notes that have definitely been trimmed. However, when you think about it, trimming does not actually affect the quality of the paper fabric --- it merely reduces the dimensions of the paper a bit!

Thus, the acronym "EPQ" refers specifically to the originality of the paper fabric and NOT to the originality of the paper dimensions. "EPQ" does NOT necessarily mean that the note has not been trimmed :)

NOTE: If you don't see "EPQ" on a PMG holder then be very careful as in all likelihood the note has been washed, pressed, cleaned or otherwise processed in some way.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 04:27:33 pm by Ottawa »

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 09:25:45 pm »

There is a 1935 note now being sold on eBay on which the PMG holder says "Exceptional Paper Quality, Great Color" (pardon the U.S. spelling of "colour").  So there is no reason that their holders couldn't say "Trimmed" where applicable.  

As mentioned by other posters, PMG could/should note on their holders if there is any unusual scent on the note.  This could occur not only with pressed or otherwise "processed" notes, but also if something smelly was dropped on the note or it was stored in a smelly environment (case in point, I have a 1971 $10 note that smells like a new tire, but I don't think it was pressed).  I also remember a previous post where someone had their notes in a safety deposit box, and some perfume being stored in a box above his leaked into his SDB and made his notes reek of perfume...

There is enough room on the PMG holder labels to make brief notes of anything out of the ordinary with a note, so if anything feels, looks or smells funny with a note shouldn't PMG note it on the label?

Login with username, password and session length