Author
Topic: How to tell when a note is pressed?  (Read 5451 times)
doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: February 01, 2006, 01:06:33 am »

What are the telltale signs of a pressed note??
Also,
Are inserts for the $20's only between 100-101 or can they be found throughout every x00-x01.
(Deal with alot of $20's cash the end of the month. Before I joined this forum, came across a couple UNC inserts, but didn't know it at the time :'(
Don't collect them, would trade tho. Am very  >:( at myself!!
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 08:32:22 am »

Pressed notes are usually dull looking on the front. At an angle under a good light you will see the pressed out remnants of prior creases. The embossing will be hardly recognisable and the serial number will be flat on the back. Occationally you will even see the regular pattern of the weave of the cloth used impressed into the paper. If the note is very flat and stays flat when it is out of the holder it should be checked.

Inserts can be found in more then one place in a brick. Best to start with a fresh brick of 1000 to identify them or wait until you the ranges others have found and reported.  
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 08:27:20 pm »

Extreme example of the hairlines I mentioned. If you see hairlines like this the note has probably been pressed. No a good example but the only one I have available right now. Hope others will comment.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 08:31:02 pm by sudzee »
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 08:34:20 pm »

Don't have a 54 $1 handy but this example of an original 50 should help.
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 08:40:23 pm »

I've seen several notes which have been pressed from an AU condition to UNC. The way I was able to distinguish the pressed from unpressed notes was that the pressed notes had frayed corners. If the notes sees to be UNC and 2 or more of the corners are frayed (not razor sharp) there might be some pressing involved. In addition, the embossing (on notes which have them) are not raised when you run your fingers over them.
doug62
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 08:52:33 pm »

Thanks  sudzee. A picture is worth a thousand words here ! I see pressed notes remind me of my attempts to iron a dress shirt  ::) Have a much clearer understanding now.

Is the $50 pressed? If so, seems a much harder to tell example than previous. Two corners shown on the 50 look pretty sharp.

Hope to meet some of you's @ the spring London show.
Doug
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 08:59:23 pm by doug62 »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 09:29:55 pm »

The $50 is not pressed. It is called "original". You can see the embossing of the serial numbers and the other major design parts from the front of the note.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 09:42:41 pm »

The 50 is not pressed. Notice the serial numbers raised slightly above the surface of the back. Pressing would probably flatten this right out.
Travsy
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 08:34:16 pm »

When you can see a tear running down the cheek of any of the people on the front of the note or their eyes are bloodshot and bulging, the note has probably been pressed.  ;)

Login with username, password and session length