Author
Topic: Are inserts getting harder to find  (Read 5538 times)
cdn_guy
« on: February 21, 2006, 12:12:37 pm »

Recently I have found that I am not finding any inserts at all in the bricks that I am ordering and searching from the banks (last 4 or 5 bricks - nothing).
I have noticed they are shuffled and number ranges can sometimes be out as far as 10,000 but no inserts to be found. Has anyone else noticed that inserts are becoming harder to find?
Even on ebay... there seems to be a lot less for sale!
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 01:30:41 pm »

I must agree, the $5 bricks are usually out of order as you mentioned (ranges of 10000) with little to no inserts. I find that i get a brick with inserts in it for every 10-20, sometimes even 30 brand new bricks ordered. Whereas the Journey $10 dollar bricks are numbered from ****000-****999 all consecutive (have yet to find any mixed up bricks or inserts in these guys).

[size=20]- Oliver M[/size]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 11:56:57 pm by Oli1001 »
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 11:34:36 pm »

I am finding that if you order bricks that are supposedly "New bills uncirculated'  they are being returned to the distribution centre as "uncirculated.  The distribution centre regards them as New Bills Uncirculated and sends them out even though the bands are from a bank and are circulated and have a different bank band on it

example

Bought 3 bricks and found that there were no insets etc.  the Bricks were mixed up and I sent them back to the same bank at another branch.  1 week later I order 2 bricks and recognized the  the same number that I previously had the week before.  Questioned the manager and they said that if the distribution centre thinks they are "New bill Uncirculated"  They will send them out as New Bills Uncirculated.  

My new thought.  Make the "New bills Uncirculated"  circulated.  Damage them by bending the heck out of them.  That is what I try to do to make  sure I do not get them anymore.  

Hope this helps

Cheers
Polarbear :)
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 11:54:00 pm »

Thats interesting polarbear, I have yet to recieve a brick of bills that either I have shifted through or have bank stamps on the bands. So far I have been lucky enough not to recieve a brick which has been shifted through an individual. As for ruffling up the bills before returning them to the bank is not necessary. The last time I went to the bank the bundles were getting jammed in the counter and the teller actually took the notes out of the bundles and beat them against the table (She literally lifted the notes over her head and pounded them against the edge of the counter). It was sad but at least I had already shifted through the bills, so the tears were minimal.

[size=20]- Oliver M[/size]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 11:56:12 pm by Oli1001 »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 12:12:34 am »

Here's another idea:
Take your pile of UNC notes from the bank, as many as you can afford to hold in cash, and go around town from bank to bank asking for $500-$1000 of circulated $10s at a time and give them a small pile of your UNC notes after roughing them up, and shuffling the pile so they are far from sequential. Go through the circulated $10s looking for some of the BEL, BEP, BER, BET prefixes, etc. Bring them back to another bank or two and ask for $100s. Then return to your original bank and pay for your next brick in $100s.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 12:16:54 am »

not a bad idea Brent.  Just hate the thought of walking around with that kind of $ around.

Cheers
polarbear ;D
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 07:37:38 pm »

Brent's suggestion is the best.
And about the tens, most banks cull them aside form what I have seen, so it is really no hassle for them to "find" them.  
Thats how I found my BER 2003!!

For inserts, keep bringing around a few bundles of tens and fives, always new, and just trade at the next place you are at.  When you pull out a note, make sure an old ratty one goes in its place so nio confusion arises.

Hudson

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 09:43:04 pm »

Today I spent 6 hours scouring Edmonton for inserts.
I found TWO.
And went though a significant amount of moneys.  I think they are becoming a little more scarce too.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 09:43:21 pm by hudsonab »

copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 10:13:36 pm »

I'm not sure if the "inserts" are really harder to find in new bricks.  It could simply a long sequence of "bad luck"... I'm ordering bricks of 5$ since one and half year, and it occured at the beginning to have  28 consecutive orders (one brick at time) without any repacement whereas everybody in the forum was finding HNH, HNR and HNZ replacement almost at will!

However, if you speak about BABN replacements, I agree, but it's not new, because they replace notes indivudually in each brick.  You have to sift through many many bricks to find only one replacement.  The CNM replace notes by sheet (at least 45 times more), plus the fact the CBN have more defects notes than the BABN.  When you find replacement, it's not rare that there is more than one note at time...

So keep searching...

sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 10:59:27 pm »

My last 20 bricks of BABN 20s resulted in 0 replacements and I only found 1 replacement in the last 10 bricks of BABN 10s. The last 9 bricks of CBN 10s resulted in 0 replacements and I have only found a few pairs of replacements in the last 20 or so bricks of CBN 5's. Sometimes you get lucky and other times you wonder if the time and trouble is worth a few radars. If I wasn't so interested in the info provided by the bricks I would probably give up.

Gary.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 01:18:10 pm »

Even at Torex this past weekend I noticed little to no inserts...
Don had some in his stacks of nice notes but that was about it.

Will this drive pricing higher? If so maybe I should be keeping the extra ones I have instead of selling on Ebay.
Some people may be going into a period of holding instead of selling right now, in anticipation of the new book. Many more insert ranges will be added and others updated, and then I expect that selling will resume at a feverish pace. Then there will be the matter of updated pricing. But that's just one collector's idea. :-/

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 11:43:29 pm »

From what I have noticed, Brent is bang on (in my opinion).  Since the new book is coming, some people maybe afraid to let go of inserts only to find out that the value of them is much higher than what they had anticipated. Similar with other special notes, such as the BEL $10, amongst others.

This last few days here in Edmonton again, still no inserts.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 11:44:06 pm by hudsonab »

Login with username, password and session length