Author
Topic: edx $10 note  (Read 5088 times)
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« on: April 01, 2006, 11:36:28 am »

I recently saw a edx $10 bill (BC-49dA) for sale at one of the recent  shows.  This note had tape right across the bill and  had some stiffness  to it.  The price was $65 dollars.  Was this dealer out to lunch with his price.  I realize it is a replacement and there are under 2 M as listed by the Charlton book.  Is this fair or just a flop.

Curious

Polarbear :-/
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 12:18:41 pm »

Depends...  
There are two varieties, Steel Engraved (below 2.64m) and Lithographed back (above 2.64)
The steel engraved version of this notes is rare, last year i paid $250 for one in VF+, yes above catalogue price, but well worth it. Its the only one i have ever seen. A price of $65 for one even in a low grade like VG is not unreasonable. I see more lawson-Bouey EDX notes then i do the EDX crow-bouey (steel engr.)  
As for the lithographed back EDX, this one is the more common, and a price of $65 should only be assigned at the EF grade.
There are a lot of EDX crow-Bouey notes around but the majority like 90% of them i would say are the lithographed ones so if by chance the one you saw was a steel engraved i would grab onto it!

Login with username, password and session length