Author
Topic: TPG Should I or Shouldn't I?  (Read 6036 times)
standeasy
« on: May 13, 2009, 02:47:32 pm »

I am considering sending in a lot of notes for TPG but I am still a little reluctant to do so. Does TPG ease the saleability of notes? Has TPG really caught on in banknotes? Should I or shouldn't I?

Standeasy
CPMS # 557
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 03:21:37 pm »

That all depends on what you plan to do with your collection. If your intent is to sell it soon then yes getting your notes graded might be a good idea especially if you plan on trying to sell them by your self on eBay or other auction site. 

If you wish to keep them then there is no rush to get them graded. I would even advise against it as certain TPG companies are hot right now but they may no longer be by the time you decide to part with your notes. My opinion with TPG is that you want a name that is recognized and trusted amongst the majority of the collectors. If your buyer does not recognize the notes holder than there is no benefit to him and must rely on your word that the note is correctly graded.

J

KC's Canadian Currency
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 03:31:25 pm »

I am considering sending in a lot of notes for TPG but I am still a little reluctant to do so. Does TPG ease the saleability of notes? Has TPG really caught on in banknotes? Should I or shouldn't I?
I think that there are plenty of FORS and AGAINSTS on TPG's and you should do a search on this site where you will get a number of people's opinions.  Some people will not buy TPG notes and want to only buy raw notes that they can see before they are placed in plastic holders, whereas some feel more comfortable buying TPG notes because they feel some authority has some special powers to grade a note and it will be exactly what they say it is ....remember... TPG notes are only as good as the grader and they do vary...not only in grading opinions, but in fees charged.
The other thing you should consider if getting notes graded is to make sure that the notes have some value and that the grading cost does not out weigh the true value of the note.
No one will buy a common note and pay the grading costs on top .....it just doesn't make sense.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 08:58:24 pm »

The other thing you should consider if getting notes graded is to make sure that the notes have some value and that the grading cost does not out weigh the true value of the note.
No one will buy a common note and pay the grading costs on top .....it just doesn't make sense.

That is a very good point friedsquid

KC's Canadian Currency
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 10:10:41 pm »

Buy the note, not the holder.
Each note must be examined.
It is often easy to see through the plastic holder and judge for yourself.
TPG can be a help if you are inexperienced at grading or are not confident at grading, whether you are a seller or buyer..
standeasy
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 06:59:29 am »

I want to thank you for your response to my questions and although I have not quite made up my mind yet I now have a few very insightful comments to consider before I do.

Standeasy
CPMS # 557
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 07:06:05 am »

It is often easy to see through the plastic holder and judge for yourself.
This is my opinion only, but there are flaws on a note that are not easily seen through a holder and graders have even told me that..
I do believe that sometimes once in a holder the note may even look better than it did when it wasn't.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length